Who do you think shot down the Red Baron? (1 Viewer)

Who killed the Red Baron?

• An Australian Flying Corps' No. 3 Squadron RE8 observation two-seater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gunner W. J. Evans of the 53rd Battery

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually without knowing the trajectory of the fatal round, it is anybody's guess as to who killed him. Forensic examination wasn't what it is today.
Can't even look at the bullets. Either way it was a British-made .303 machine gun round.... so points to the ladies back at the munitions plant.
It was Snoopy!
I wonder if Schultz considered making Snoopy an USAAS pilot flying a Spad rather than a Brit in a Camel. Of course Snoopy's last name is Brown, same as the then recognized victor over Richthofen, so that might have driven the matter.

Last edited:
You are correct "Akuma"
Sgt Cedric Popkin knew it was his bullet that hit MvR.
My Grandfather was with him at the time. Popkin was a marksman, and he knew how far ahead of the plane to aim his Vickers gun to make the hit. I have visited Popkin's daughter in northern NSW a few years ago, and had a nice chat over a cuppa, but the family did not have a lot of detail about that day, because Cedric did not talk about the war, when he came home. Recently, a plaque was erected in his home town, which explains the story.

Well, there's a nice reproduction of the crash scene complete with the man himself having his boots nicked, in a museum here in New Zealand. The scene has been recreated by studying photographs and accounts of the crash site.

50192042936_6f895b1f25_b.jpg
Knights of the Sky 72

50191494803_e7b7ef2405_b.jpg
Knights of the Sky 71

One of the cut-out crosses survives in the museum.

50191494853_6df1948729_b.jpg
Knights of the Sky 70

This is all Peter Jackson's doing...

Well, there's a nice reproduction of the crash scene complete with the man himself having his boots nicked, in a museum here in New Zealand. The scene has been recreated by studying photographs and accounts of the crash site.

View attachment 680249Knights of the Sky 72

View attachment 680250Knights of the Sky 71

One of the cut-out crosses survives in the museum.

View attachment 680251Knights of the Sky 70

This is all Peter Jackson's doing...
When Joline and I were in Wellington, NZ in 2017, there was a Gallipoli exhibit at the museum- also by Peter Jackson. The exhibits were excellent and the figures in it were large, very lifelike, and extremely well detailed.
45 Wellington- Gapollipoli Exhibit 5.jpg
46 Wellington- Gapollipoli Exhibit 4.jpg
47 Wellington- Gapollipoli Exhibit 3.jpg
48 Wellington- Gapollipoli Exhibit 2.jpg
49 Wellington- Gapollipoli Exhibit 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back