Who do you think shot down the Red Baron?

Who killed the Red Baron?

• An Australian Flying Corps' No. 3 Squadron RE8 observation two-seater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gunner W. J. Evans of the 53rd Battery

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Njaco,

>What I'm saying is that what some might assume to be German might actually should be Dutch. So instead of trying to decipher in German maybe its the other country that should be looked at.

I'm afraid I must have bored everyone to death with my transliteration instructions above, but after the boring bit and the excursion bit I got to a Dutch bit too :)

In my opinion (I don't speak any Dutch ...), the proper Dutch terms would be

- Dutch: "MILITAIRE VLIEGTUIG"
- German: "MILITÄRFLUGZEUG"

(German engineers often fail to observe typographic conventions ... "MILITÄR-FLUGZEUG" would be credible, too.)

I don't know what real historic German dataplates actually said ... "Militärflugzeug" seems a fairly generic term of little descriptive value.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

unfortunately, me too.

Just to toss in a monkey wrench. Fokker was Dutch and quite possibly used Dutch instead of German. What I'm saying is that what some might assume to be German might actually should be Dutch. So instead of trying to decipher in German maybe its the other country that should be looked at.

That said, I have no clue the difference between Dutch and German. The points about umlat I'm aware of in German. Does the same hold true for Dutch?

No, it's german, not dutch. We say Vliegtuig instead of Flugzeug

If that's how you feel, then you could say the same about any historical study.
Who cares how Custer died ? He's just as dead.
Who cares how Yamamoto was shot down, he's still just as dead, isn't he ?
Etc, etc.
Then why are you even on a WW2 aircraft forum ?
It's all history isn't it ?

Last edited:
If that's how you feel, then you could say the same about any historical study.
Who cares how Custer died ? He's just as dead.
Who cares how Yamamoto was shot down, he's still just as dead, isn't he ?
Etc, etc.
Then why are you even on a WW2 aircraft forum ?
It's all history isn't it ?
I finally got a rise out of someone.;)

I have decided to 'give a crap' who shot down the Red Baron.

Unless any strong evidence can prove who shot down this pilot, then I suppose the evidence is lost, and only a mere few can conclude this WW1 debacle. I know who it was. No one ever will, YES, alcohol was involved.

Actually without knowing the trajectory of the fatal round, it is anybody's guess as to who killed him. Forensic examination wasn't what it is today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back