Who here volunteers ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
I just became a member of the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, PA. They do WW2 weekend which brings about 1200 reenactors, 50 vintage aircraft and 200 vehicles. In the summer I'm hoping to help with maintaining the aircraft and working from there

Just curious who else volunteers? What do you do?

I'm in the process of switching allegience from the Russell Group to the CWH the only problem is waiting for health issues to clear up , I'm the best damm sweeper , lawn cutter, and polisher you've ever met

Volunteer at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, currently working on the restoration of a Bell YP-59A Airacomet to flgiht status. Well along in the process; not much left but finding the money to buy the fuel for the flight test program .... need $50,000 for fuel!

Earlier projects were Northrop N9MB Flying Wing and Hispano Ha.1112 Buchon.

I do Vietnam presentations (pictures, slides, maps, various things I brought back: my Yard crossbow and adoption braclets, etc.) at high schools most toward the end of the school year when the history classes are covering that period. Now that I have moved to Arkansas I'm going to have to make new contacts at the local schools

Iv'e been volunteering with Collings for close to 10 years. I started as the ride coordinator, now I fly everything. ALOT of hard work paid off!

jim

IMG_5056.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

b-24.jpg

Last edited:
I spent the summer as a volunteer with the New England Air Museum from July to August. I helped the educators with activities and tours. My main shtick, though, was to cover the tour on the DC-3 when we had big groups. Kids were a bit of a hassle, but I really enjoyed it.

I volunteer but not at an aviation museum, I volunteer one day every two weeks at a heritage railway. I get to clean steam locomotives at the end of there days run, then two weeks later I get to prepare the Locos for the days run alternating through the summer season then in the winter I help in the workshops. I get hot as hell blacker than a coal miner and can barely move the next day but every now and then it is all made good when I am allowed under supervision to shunt a Loco a few yards to the ash pits or the water column:D

You cant beat hitting big lumps of metal with big hammers and spanners after two weeks spent up to my armpits in cars trying to fix the electronics.:lol:

Again somethng a little different. I work with the Samaritans, taking the calls, seeing visitors and dealing with e'mails. Just starting to help train and mentor new Samaritans. Interestingly, a high proportion of the e-mail calls for help come from the USA.

It can have its stressful moments but the sucesses outweigh the downside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back