Why bacon is the most important food that has ever existed...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just to utterly destroy my reputation, I thought that I would post a link to Stop adding cancer-causing chemicals to our bacon, experts tell meat industry

Oh the old nitrite scare again. Do you know what celery juice (the usual substitute for sodium nitrite) turns into while sitting in the "fermentation" solution? Yep you guessed it. Sodium Nitrite.

Your body turns Sodium Nitrite; which is turned into Nitric Oxide, which relaxes your blood vessels that lowers your blood pressure.

You have to eat a butt load of bacon, ham, lunch meats, hot dogs, sausages, etc. to increase your chance of cancer. No one I know eats that much of any one thing.

"During the curing process, the nitrates in celery powder break down into nitrites and provide all the benefits of botulism prevention, bright pink color and that delicious cured flavor. For full disclosure, the USDA does not consider celery powder or any other "natural" form of nitrate to be a curing or preserving agent but rather a flavoring agent. "

I agree that "organic bacon" made with celery juice is a con. However, Parma ham is not made with nitrites How Parma ham is made - Saucepan Kids, which is why it is more expensive.

Not to be combative; but without nitrates that turn into nitrites, this ham would be white and taste like fresh pork and not pink colored. Chemistry is chemistry. Not bragging, but in my early years I went to Penn State majoring in Animal Production and Meats. I kind of know what I'm talking about.

"Some uncured products are available today that use ingredients like beet or celery juice or natural sea salt to deliver a color and
flavor similar to traditional cured meats. Beets, celery and sea salt may all contain nitrate naturally. When the nitrate in celery, beets and
sea salt, and other nitrate-containing vegetables, is exposed to certain types of bacteria in the product, nitrate is converted to nitrite, which results in
product characteristics similar to traditionally cured meat products. The amount of nitrite consumed from these types of products versus traditionally cured meat
products is virtually the same."

https://www.meatinstitute.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/44170

The bottom line here, folks is simple...
Provide real bacon, crispy delicious meat candy and all will be forgiven.

Mess with that joyous expectation and you WILL be rounded up, placed in a holding room and told to be seated.

What happens next is your own fault...
Brest_Fortress_FlammpanzerIII-2.jpg

In ancient times you could say that bacon was used in combat (at a push I will admit). Pigs were taken onto the field of battle then they had tar put onto their backs. This was lit as they were driven in the direction of the enemy where they would go berserk with the pain. The original Smokey Back Bacon.

I will now leave.

In ancient times you could say that bacon was used in combat (at a push I will admit). Pigs were taken onto the field of battle then they had tar put onto their backs. This was lit as they were driven in the direction of the enemy where they would go berserk with the pain. The original Smokey Back Bacon.
Quite innovative, actually.

The flaming pigs over-run the enemy positions, creating confusion and a route.

The conquering army now holds the enemy's ground and collects the roasted pigs and celebrates with a nice, tasty meal that evening.

It's Win-Win! :lol:

Depends if your pigs are trained well enough when in pain immediately run hog wild to the enemy.;)
When I was working the firelines with a Cat cutting a break at night, I saw small animals (squirrels, rabbits, etc.) that would literally wait until they were on fire before dashing to safety.
They would bolt away from the fire towards presumed safety in the darkness, only to take the fire with them.
It was a surreal sight, but lends gravity to the story.
Animals will blindly run from fire and if their ass is burning, you have a fairly good idea which direction they will run.

I believe that this is a true story. Many years ago I used to play ancient war games and a couple of the players used these on the board. People took the historical accuracy of the armies very seriously and they would have been challenged and barred if not proven.
They were very unpredictable but could be highly effective

It's a dry cured product that takes months ageing. It's not heated/cooked aka. it's a raw product. No smoking or any other flavorings can be added to the ham and still be called Parma Ham. It tastes nothing like bacon, not by a long shot.

MAPLE BACON BOURBON CUPCAKES

1546929231219.png

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup crispy bacon, crumbled, divided
1 tablespoon bourbon
1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
4 tablespoons maple syrup
3 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature