Why bacon is the most important food that has ever existed...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

277A3E22-657C-4096-868F-72FD05916E6C.jpeg

You know, I noticed something many years ago when I lived on the West Coast. On the East Coast, pork is pretty common at restaurants, especially in New Jersey for some reason, where it seems that every restaurant has pork on the menu.

But in California, pork is pretty rare. I can only think of one restaurant in California where people said you should go there for the pork chops.

Then I thought about the US expansion to the West. Cattle are one thing, but can you imagine herding pigs across the vast prairies? No way! I think that established a tradition that endures to this day.

I'm gonna' have that image stuck in my mind all day.
And can you imagine being on a sailing ship going from the East Coast to San Francisco, around the southern tip of South America, with a cargo of pigs?

West Coast pork must have had to wait on the railroads.

Of course they do have wild boar on the West Coast, but I think they may have been imported. Boar hate snakes, and will hunt them down and eat them, so on the Central Coast of California they brought in boar to cut down on the rattlesnake population. Turns out the boar prefer the wetter lowlands and the rattlers prefer the dryer hills, so they usually don't see much of each other. So now you can not only get snakebit but Boared as well.

Of course they have boar in HI, too. I wonder how they got there? On 7 Dec 1941 many of the USAAF fighter pilots in HI were attending a boar hunt on The Big Island, and all they had to fly was an unarmed B-18.

And can you imagine being on a sailing ship going from the East Coast to San Francisco, around the southern tip of South America, with a cargo of pigs?

In the 17/1800's it was common practice for certain British navy ships to carry pigs and drop a few breeding sets off on islands where sailors may get ship wrecked so as to provide protein for survivors

In the 17/1800's it was common practice for certain British navy ships to carry pigs and drop a few breeding sets off on islands where sailors may get ship wrecked so as to provide protein for survivors
That was done on some islands off the South Coast of Western Australia as well but they were mostly rock so I think they substituted goats.

I recall reading where British Catalina crews were issued with canned food for their long 12 hour missions on U-boat patrols from South Africa. They would toss the canned food in the bilge of the PBY, buy steaks very cheaply locally, and cook them on the missions- rather like those USN blimp photos. The canned food they would let accumulate in the bottom of the PBY to be used as emergency rations in the event that they came down along some deserted beach and it took a while for them to either fix the PBY or get rescued. I wonder how many pounds of canned food were in those Catalinas when they sent it to overhaul.

I had bladder cancer in 2006. My wife's sister said it was due to eating bacon. I had the tumor removed and have been cancer free since then and eat bacon every week. I am not blind but may have had sex before I was married, I no longer listen to old wives tales or will stop eating bacon.

I had bladder cancer in 2006. My wife's sister said it was due to eating bacon. I had the tumor removed and have been cancer free since then and eat bacon every week. I am not blind but may have had sex before I was married, I no longer listen to old wives tales or will stop eating bacon.
I was about to award you a "winner" but, you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back