Why bacon is the most important food that has ever existed...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A co-worker of mine had been a B-52 simulator tech when he was in the Air Force. He mentioned that at one base he was stationed at the C.O. really liked Creamed Chip Beef on Toast. My friend said that was the only place on Earth where one could eat truly delicious SOS.

A co-worker of mine had been a B-52 simulator tech when he was in the Air Force. He mentioned that at one base he was stationed at the C.O. really liked Creamed Chip Beef on Toast. My friend said that was the only place on Earth where one could eat truly delicious SOS.
Having never tasted it and living on the other side of either the Atlantic (little pond) and then the Pacific (big pond) i've never come across it. Looking at it on Google it looks like a big splodgy mess. 🤣

Having never tasted it and living on the other side of either the Atlantic (little pond) and then the Pacific (big pond) i've never come across it. Looking at it on Google it looks like a big splodgy mess. 🤣
It was fairly common in the U.S. military's mess hall back in the day.

The recipe had a little variation between the Army and the Navy (as well as the Marines) but there were two distinct types: Chipped Beef Gravy and Hamburger Gravy.

I'll include the recipes for both.

My Dad was Army, so we used to have SoS for dinner every so often, but he preferred the Chipped Beef version.

*addendum*
As many of you know, my Stepdad was a former Marine and would have absolutely nothing to do with SoS of any kind, so I can safely say I haven't had SoS since the mid-70's. :D

Last edited:
When I was in training we were practicing a silent order drill routine and were dressed in our best blues. Breaking from the drill for lunch one of the guys at the next table behind me gave the tomato sauce a good shake, the lid came of and yours truly copped a good dosing of ketchup all over my best uniform. The drill Sgt was not much pleased in my new camouflaged blues.
:D

FB_IMG_1681233188481.jpg

A fig filled with salted cream cheese and part wrapped in bacon before cooking. The fig needs to be ripe. The recipe calls for one layer of thin bacon but needs multiple layers of bacon as far as I am concerned. If the fig is ripe it is yummy, if only looks ripe not so

1681599457931.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back