Why bacon is the most important food that has ever existed... (3 Viewers)

Not a familiar dish in our neck of the woods. :D
You, my friend, are most fortunate!
 
I'll have you know that it is Heaven on a plate.

Do you have no taste buds?
 
A co-worker of mine had been a B-52 simulator tech when he was in the Air Force. He mentioned that at one base he was stationed at the C.O. really liked Creamed Chip Beef on Toast. My friend said that was the only place on Earth where one could eat truly delicious SOS.
 
A co-worker of mine had been a B-52 simulator tech when he was in the Air Force. He mentioned that at one base he was stationed at the C.O. really liked Creamed Chip Beef on Toast. My friend said that was the only place on Earth where one could eat truly delicious SOS.
Having never tasted it and living on the other side of either the Atlantic (little pond) and then the Pacific (big pond) i've never come across it. Looking at it on Google it looks like a big splodgy mess. 🤣
 
Having never tasted it and living on the other side of either the Atlantic (little pond) and then the Pacific (big pond) i've never come across it. Looking at it on Google it looks like a big splodgy mess. 🤣
It was fairly common in the U.S. military's mess hall back in the day.

The recipe had a little variation between the Army and the Navy (as well as the Marines) but there were two distinct types: Chipped Beef Gravy and Hamburger Gravy.

I'll include the recipes for both.



My Dad was Army, so we used to have SoS for dinner every so often, but he preferred the Chipped Beef version.

*addendum*
As many of you know, my Stepdad was a former Marine and would have absolutely nothing to do with SoS of any kind, so I can safely say I haven't had SoS since the mid-70's. :D
 
Last edited:
Sometimes what you see in messes turns your stumoch.

I remember one Warrant Officer who poured masses of tomato sauce on everything - including ice cream. I always went late in the hope that she was early
 
When I was in training we were practicing a silent order drill routine and were dressed in our best blues. Breaking from the drill for lunch one of the guys at the next table behind me gave the tomato sauce a good shake, the lid came of and yours truly copped a good dosing of ketchup all over my best uniform. The drill Sgt was not much pleased in my new camouflaged blues.
:D
 
FB_IMG_1681233188481.jpg
 
Errr...no.
Tend to agree. Bacon has a flavour all of it's own, it needs nothing to enhance it. :D
 
NO BACON

That is sacrilege

Go was you mouth out right now
Na! I'll just go cook me a rasher or two and have a nice greasy flavorsome bacon butty. :D
 
:p
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back