Why cheese may possibly be the second best food in the world

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

herman1rg

Tech Sergeant
Dec 3, 2008
A new thread to discuss Cheese, a close second to bacon in terms of food importance

MMMMM...Italian Casu Marsu
casu-marzu.jpg

It's served with live maggots. In Sardinia, sheep farmers for centuries have made pecorino cheese and left it to rot and attract flies. When the flies' eggs hatch the transformation takes place and the cheese becomes Casu Marzu. It's then consumed with relish or perhaps trepidation -- it has an aftertaste that lasts for hours.

Nah, be adventurous, you're missing out on the REALLY good stuff:
Milbenkäse
Quark (warm soured milk until it curdles then strain) flavored with salt and caraway is shaped into small balls, cylinders or wheels, and dried. Then it is placed in a wooden box containing rye flour and inhabited by Tyroglyphus casei cheese mites for at least three months. The digestive juices of the mites diffuse into the cheese and cause fermentation; the flour is added because the mites would otherwise simply eat the whole cheese instead of just nibbling away at the crust as is desired. After one month, the cheese rind turns yellow, after three months reddish-brown. Some producers, however, allow the cheese to ripen for up to one year, until it has turned black. Mites clinging to the cheese rind are also consumed.
MMMMM... LIVE CHEESE MITES
800px-cheese_mite.jpg
milben_1.jpg

Nah, be adventurous, you're missing out on the REALLY good stuff:
Milbenkäse
Quark (warm soured milk until it curdles then strain) flavored with salt and caraway is shaped into small balls, cylinders or wheels, and dried. Then it is placed in a wooden box containing rye flour and inhabited by Tyroglyphus casei cheese mites for at least three months. The digestive juices of the mites diffuse into the cheese and cause fermentation; the flour is added because the mites would otherwise simply eat the whole cheese instead of just nibbling away at the crust as is desired. After one month, the cheese rind turns yellow, after three months reddish-brown. Some producers, however, allow the cheese to ripen for up to one year, until it has turned black. Mites clinging to the cheese rind are also consumed.
MMMMM... LIVE CHEESE MITES
View attachment 371937 View attachment 371938
I'll pass on this one.

My Favourite is
Époisses de Bourgogne
Epoisses has a powerfully rich flavour, both salty and creamy with a pungent aroma and meaty texture. Despite its pungent smell it's a delight to eat and ripens to a golden liquid.

Commonly referred to as Époisses, it is a pungent soft-paste cows-milk cheese. Smear-ripened, 'washed rind' (washed in brine and marc de Bourgogne, the local pomace brandy) ,It is sold in a circular wooden box, and in restaurants, is sometimes served with a spoon due to its extremely soft texture.

Napoleon was a particular fan of the cheese, and the famous epicure Brillat-Savarin himself classed it as the "king of all cheeses". Époisses imported into the United States having been aged not more than 49 days has been prohibited.

It is a cheese so smelly it is banned from being taken on public transport in its native France.
4a6f0f102094793392a9ac8e3fd5dcdf.jpg

Author: Alyssa
Serves: 12
Ingredients
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 3 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped, divided
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 8 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped, divided
  • ¼ cup green onions, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon cumin
  • ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped

Instructions
  1. In a medium sized bowl, stir together cream cheese, half of the jalapeños, shredded cheddar cheese, half of the bacon, green onions, seasoning salt, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and cumin until fully incorporated.
  2. On a large plate combine other half of the bacon, jalapeños, and pecans. Shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball and roll it onto the plate to coat well.
  3. Cover with seran wrap and chill for an hour before serving. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.

My Favourite is
Époisses de Bourgogne
Epoisses has a powerfully rich flavour, both salty and creamy with a pungent aroma and meaty texture. Despite its pungent smell it's a delight to eat and ripens to a golden liquid.

Commonly referred to as Époisses, it is a pungent soft-paste cows-milk cheese. Smear-ripened, 'washed rind' (washed in brine and marc de Bourgogne, the local pomace brandy) ,It is sold in a circular wooden box, and in restaurants, is sometimes served with a spoon due to its extremely soft texture.

Napoleon was a particular fan of the cheese, and the famous epicure Brillat-Savarin himself classed it as the "king of all cheeses". Époisses imported into the United States having been aged not more than 49 days has been prohibited.

It is a cheese so smelly it is banned from being taken on public transport in its native France.
View attachment 371961

I love a good Epoisses. Every year when I go back to Europe, I get my fix. Great memories of stinking up the car with Epoisses while road tripping through Normandy. Such great flavor, but man does it smell.

Unfortunately only one place so far I can find it here in the midwest of the US.

My Favourite is
Époisses de Bourgogne

View attachment 371961
I worked for 5 months just a few miles from where this is made, a lot of local specialities are cooked with it, an aquired taste but I liked it.

I once saw a cheese on sale with the ticket written like this.

Yorkshire
blue cow
milk cheese

Our young daughter demanded to see where the blue cows were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back