Why cheese may possibly be the second best food in the world

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For you cheeseaholics out there!

FB_IMG_1493125629190.jpg

Wheat beers are mostly German: Weißbiers. They are warm brewed and have a high percentage of wheat to the amount of malted barley. During the brewing process they develop a heavy foam at the top and are referred to as top-brewed. In general they are ready to drink within about 3 weeks.
During the fermentation process fruity esters develop smelling of bananas, cloves, smoky, even a medicinal smell. Bitterness, hop flavor, and aroma are low

Lager is German for storeroom or warehouse. Lager beers are, in general, cold brewed. The yeast sinks and the beer is referred to as bottom-brewed though some lagers are warm brewed (top-brewed as above). The important step is that after brewing the beer is stored at near freezing temps for months.
In Germany brewers would dig large cellars and fill them with ice from frozen lakes/rivers. They would then plant trees (mainly chestnut) over these cellars to produce a dense shade. The beer was then served directly from the cellars and the shaded area became a BEER GARDEN. Lagers may be Pale, Amber, Golden, Dark, or Pilsner (pale with lots of hops). Pale lager is the most widely consumed and commercially available style of beer. It is often known primarily by its brand name, and labeled simply as "beer". Well-known brands include Miller, Stella Artois, Beck's, Budweiser, Corona, Heineken, and Foster's to name just a few.

IPA, stands of India Pale Ale. It is a hoppy beer style within the pale ale family. It is warm-brewed and thus produces the fruity esters. It is brewed using pale malt and originally without hops. Gruit was added to add bitterness and balance the sweetness of the malt. Today hops serve that function and were initially added in England to preserve the beer during its voyage to India. Its light refreshing character made it very popular there.

Bitter is an English term for a type of pale ale. They can be from gold to dark amber in color and from 3% to 7% alcohol. Brewers wanted to differentiate these from milder ales. Thus the pale malts and extra hops. Bitterness is medium to high and carbonation is low.

Porter is a dark beer developed in London made from dark malt with lots of hops. The names Porter and Stout have essentially the same meaning. For the Englishers on the forum: In Ireland the non-sweet or standard stout was being made. As standard stout has a dryer taste than the English and American sweet stouts, they came to be called dry stout or Irish stout to differentiate them from stouts with added lactose or oatmeal. Though still sometimes termed Irish or dry stout, particularly if made in Ireland, this is the standard stout sold and would normally just be termed "stout". The best selling stout is Guinness Draught, made by Diageo at St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin.

Wheat beers are mostly German: Weißbiers.
White Beer?
They are warm brewed and have a high percentage of wheat to the amount of malted barley. During the brewing process they develop a heavy foam at the top and are referred to as top-brewed. In general they are ready to drink within about 3 weeks.
During the fermentation process fruity esters develop smelling of bananas, cloves, smoky, even a medicinal smell. Bitterness, hop flavor, and aroma are low
By bitterness, flavor and aroma you mean the beery smell (I've never tasted beer)?
Lager is German for storeroom or warehouse. Lager beers are, in general, cold brewed.
I thought all brewing was under heat...
IPA, stands of India Pale Ale. It is a hoppy beer style within the pale ale family. It is warm-brewed and thus produces the fruity esters. It is brewed using pale malt and originally without hops. Gruit was added to add bitterness and balance the sweetness of the malt. Today hops serve that function and were initially added in England to preserve the beer during its voyage to India. Its light refreshing character made it very popular there.
Hops is a preservative?
Bitter is an English term for a type of pale ale. They can be from gold to dark amber in color and from 3% to 7% alcohol. Brewers wanted to differentiate these from milder ales. Thus the pale malts and extra hops. Bitterness is medium to high and carbonation is low.
Gotcha
Porter is a dark beer developed in London made from dark malt with lots of hops. The names Porter and Stout have essentially the same meaning.
Gotcha..

You should teach a course: Beerology 101

Zipper, you are on the internet, google............. hops, wheat, barley and beer making. Better still just have a nice quiet beer one day.

Wheat beer - Wikipedia

words in European languages evolve, the white rhino is not called white because it is a white colour it is actually dark grey.

Last edited:
Zipper, you are on the internet, google.............
Okay...
Better still just have a nice quiet beer one day.
I don't know if that's a good idea -- I've never tasted beer, but I have drank alcohol once (a few glasses of wine -- hey it was there): I became a belligerent bastard and nearly took a tree-branch to somebody's head. I didn't even enjoy the experience much.

Okay...
I don't know if that's a good idea -- I've never tasted beer, but I have drank alcohol once (a few glasses of wine -- hey it was there): I became a belligerent bastard and nearly took a tree-branch to somebody's head. I didn't even enjoy the experience much.

I said a nice quiet beer, in Germany people drink beer from 0.2 litre glasses in a civilized environment.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I said a nice quiet beer, in Germany people drink beer from 0.2 litre glasses in a civilized environment.

Only if you are in Köln, and drinking Kölsch.

In Bavaria and in the Schwabenland, as well as most of Germany, beer is served in 0,5 litre glasses. Sometimes 0,33 litres.

Before the advent of public CHLORINATED water systems beer (termed "small beer") or watered wine were the only safe ways to drink water. Small beer was drunk by even young children. The low alcohol content was enough to kill the organisms that infested creek/river/lake/shallow wells. As children got older they switched to beer/ale/wine as the only safe means to hydrate. As a result our "Founding Fathers" were buzzed 90% of the time. One of women's many jobs was the family brewmasters, hence the term alewife.
The correct type of yeast culture were closely kept family secrets.

Only if you are in Köln, and drinking Kölsch.

In Bavaria and in the Schwabenland, as well as most of Germany, beer is served in 0,5 litre glasses. Sometimes 0,33 litres.

And definitely not it you are in GrauGeist's avatar (Munich Beer Gardens, Spaten, HB, Paulaner and etc.)

Although in parts of Germany, like Bitburg for instance, it is wise to order the second beer upon arrival of the first since it can take some minutes from tap to glass to table! Oh-- and pass on that wretched concoction of Bitburger and Pepsi!

Last edited:
Appenzeller from Switzerland is by far the greatest cheese ever.

Having said that, I love all cheeses, and a good evening for me is a good wine, an assorted cheese board and various cured and smoked hams, bacons and salamis.

Make mine a Gorganzola. Appenzeller is not available in Aus so I have not had the pleasure (and missed hearing about it on both my trips to Zurich damn it). A good cheese board and good wine or cognac is definitely the perfect end to any day.

Last edited:
Make mine a Gorganzola. Appenzeller is not available in Aus so I have not had the pleasure (and missed hearing about it on both my trips to Zurich damn it). A good cheese board and good wine or cognac is definitely the perfect end to any day.

Gorgonzola is great. I make a great Rigatoni with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back