Why cheese may possibly be the second best food in the world

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aw, Chris !
You've got me drooling now !
The fourth pic looks very similar in layout and size to the cheese stall in my local indoor market, although slightly more modern looking.

No insult to anyone intended or implied BUT---There is a reason that your nose is hung over your mouth and actual taste is one of the most limited of the senses sooo... Iffen it smells like a mixture of n-Butyl Mercaptan, Putrescine and Cadaverine it's trying very hard to tell you something... Oh, god, it actually singes your sinuses slightly. It smells like the gunk that accrues under your toenails." "I was going to say rotten eggs, but yeah, that too."
So I'll take your word that it doesn't taste like the Devils bumhole but then there's that massively bitter aftertaste that lasts 48hrs
You can have my share...

So I'll take your word that it doesn't taste like the Devils bumhole but then there's that massively bitter aftertaste that lasts 48hrs
You can have my share...
My wife has a colleague who has the same opinion towards garlic spaghetti and pizza. Drinking milk and eating cheese is only done by mutants, there are many people in the world who cannot drink milk, it makes them ill, sadly many of these people cannot drink alcohol either.

Only second?

Although casu marzu is most assuredly not on my list.

As an aside, taste is funny: there's a large number of people with a gene that makes cilantro taste like soap.

Charlesvoix County, Quebec

Our cheeses

Consider taking a cost-effective cheese tour in Charlesvoix County on the St Lawrence east of Quebec City. Spectacular scenery, spirited people. Home of blueberry beer and great whale watching at the mouth of the Sagueney River.

I'm a fan of cheddar, cheddar/jack, smoked cheeses, and mozzarella.

I've never understood the idea of eating cheeses that have maggots in them or smell so awful that they aren't permitted on public transportation.

On that note: Which of the cheeses described have the worst smell?

I'm a fan of cheddar, cheddar/jack, smoked cheeses, and mozzarella.

I've never understood the idea of eating cheeses that have maggots in them or smell so awful that they aren't permitted on public transportation.

What do you consider Mozzarella? Please don't tell me that shredded stuff in a bag, or that fake hard cheeze mozzarella.

As for the smelly cheeze, don't knock it before you try it. The flavors are amazing. Epoisses for instance is wonderful.

There is more to cheese than Kraft packages.

Cheese is like many other things French cheese is best eaten in France, Italian cheese in Italy etc. To really enjoy a Whiskey you must go to Scotland and the only place to drink German beer is of course Germany. I am not saying that they taste different in other places but eating and drinking is an experience and many things affect it. If you dont believe me drink champagne from a lead crystal glass and then a plastic cup.

"....drink champagne from a lead crystal glass and then a plastic cup."

'The experience' will depend more on WHO I'm drinking with, IMO. :)

Geographic localities impart flavor and nuance to products .... cheese, wine, cured meats etc., etc .... but each of these products evolved from the human need to harvest fresh products ... and preserve them .. the surplus ... for future consumption in time of need ... like winter. So by definition flavor and nuance are preserved and travel well, when under the suitable conditions.

I didn't imagine the great experience I had drinking Coronas with lime from Mexico with Stolypin ice-vodka chasers from Moscow, last night in 'The 6", did I ..? :)

I didn't imagine the great experience I had drinking Coronas with lime from Mexico with Stolypin ice-vodka chasers from Moscow, last night in 'The 6", did I ..? :)

To really create the Mexican experience of drinking Coronas in Mexico you should sit in a sauna.

The taste of all these things remains the same it is the environment and as you say the company that makes a difference. I would never eat English cheese when abroad and rarely eat anything except English cheese at home

Epoisses.

Smells like the boys' gym ... As sticky as 10 sticky things ... Utterly, utterly delicious - strictly at room temperature, this cheese has an extraordinarily complex flavour, yet is more mellow than its pungent aroma suggests.

The smell isnt that bad, I visited Epoisses in France and couldnt smell anything, it is probably the most boring village in France.

Smell and taste are individual things. As I've already posted I'm not a fan of eating vile smelling stuff but I have been convinced on occasion to experiment so...for me...
1. Rainbow's Gold seems to have been produced by a prankster trying to make his farmer mates gag. It's made from unpasteurised cow's milk in the county of Somerset in England, and washed every day for several weeks with golden ale, until it smells so incredibly strong that it could make your hair curl if you accidentally stood half a mile downwind.
It Smells Like: Gym gear sweat. You know, the smell you get on gym mats that haven't been used for a while?" The underside of a Casio wristwatch in summer. Smelly feet. Really, really smelly feet.
It Tastes Like: Somebody buried my cheddar cheese in the compost and then dug it up again.
In Short: A truly horrible, sticky smell from a profoundly ripe cheese. I'm reminded of teenage bodily excretions. It's Proust's smell-memory crossed with a Nine Inch Nails album.

2. This is famous, the Big Daddy and they admit it right on the label: Stinking Bishop. It's horse-faintingly strong. It's washed in perry cider in Gloucestershire, and it had a cameo in the film Wallace & Gromit, where it's used to bring a character back from the dead. That now seems like an entirely rational proposition.
It Smells Like: The rind smells like something's gone fetid. Stale cigar smoke? It smells like something sweet's gone putrid, like rotting flesh.
It Tastes Like: The last time I had Stinking Bishop I had to scrape off my tongue with a knife. Acrid. Seriously, I thought I was going to be sick.
In Short: The power of this stuff should be used by the military. STINKING BISHOP FIRE IN THE HOLE.

3. This is a bit of a gourmet cheese. It's Camembert, soaked in Calvados liqueur and then covered in breadcrumbs. The Calvados treatment, unsurprisingly, is what makes it deadly.
It Smells Like: Dog sh*t or maybe Silage. Yup definitely old rotting silage.
It Tastes like: ?? Couldn't get past the smell, kept retching
In Short: I couldn't taste this one because it was literally so soaked in alcohol you could squeeze it like a sponge, but its seriously unnerving dog-poop smell means that I'm not too upset about that.

Smell and taste are individual things.
I'm focusing on the most awful smellers...

Stinking Bishop sounds just awful... cheese that smells like rotten flesh is definitely a bad one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back