Why did every country have a flying boat ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It would have been way better if they fixed the boat and then realized the storm had taken then into another dimension, and they ended up on an endless journey through from bizarre foreign port or Island community after another...

Because if the Professor repaired the Minnow (which he and the Skipper were capable of), the show wouldn't have lasted more than a few episodes...
Oh, stop breaking the fourth wall. What was really happening that Gilligan, who actually orchestrated the "accident" stranding the Minnow, was blackmailing the Professor (due to an incident with one of his 9th grade students...) to prevent rescue.

lets leave Sherwood Schwartz under a stack of coconuts on the island, keep Rod Sterling, and maybe we can hire some writers like Jack Vance, Harlan Ellison, Robert Bloch, Jerome Bixby, maybe Roger Zelazny....

Better still, Quentin Tarantino.

You can be sure it would be dark, violent and very entertaining...

well I was trying to stick to the 50s-60s. And I think Tarantino... I don't know if he fits with a tropical adventure theme anyway. Can't use his favored dialogue on a broadcast TV show back then.

Clearly what the Professor needed to do was patch the boat and make some bio-diesel out of coconut milk, but once he realized they had been blown thousands of miles (and possible through another dimension) by the storm and could never reach land on that small boat, he'd need to make wings out of coconut trees and fashion the boat's motor into an airplane engine with palm frond propellers.

Then it's time to island hop. Maybe we could get Charles Schneer and Ray Harryhausen involved, turn the whole thing into a Seventh Voyage of Sinbad or Jason and the Argonauts kind of thing, with a different odd twist from one of those edgier 60s writers in each episode, and of course Ginger and Maryanne as the main crew of the flying boat. (Maybe keep Skipper and Gilligan and the Howells as ballast, but we don't need to see them too much). And a different guest-starlet every week somewhat in the manner of 60s Star Trek.

star-trek-green-alien-woman.jpg

well I was trying to stick to the 50s-60s. And I think Tarantino... I don't know if he fits with a tropical adventure theme anyway. Can't use his favored dialogue on a broadcast TV show back then.

Clearly what the Professor needed to do was patch the boat and make some bio-diesel out of coconut milk, but once he realized they had been blown thousands of miles (and possible through another dimension) by the storm and could never reach land on that small boat, he'd need to make wings out of coconut trees and fashion the boat's motor into an airplane engine with palm frond propellers.

Then it's time to island hop. Maybe we could get Charles Schneer and Ray Harryhausen involved, turn the whole thing into a Seventh Voyage of Sinbad or Jason and the Argonauts kind of thing, with a different odd twist from one of those edgier 60s writers in each episode, and of course Ginger and Maryanne as the main crew of the flying boat. (Maybe keep Skipper and Gilligan and the Howells as ballast, but we don't need to see them too much). And a different guest-starlet every week somewhat in the manner of 60s Star Trek.

View attachment 682911

Ah cool. Then the professor would of course become MacGuyvers long lost father.

My theory was that the Professor of course could have gotten them off the island, but chose not to. Because reasons.

My theory was that the Professor of course could have gotten them off the island, but chose not to. Because reasons.

Yabut he didn't get Ginger or MaryAnne, so what reasons? Did he have a warrant out for his arrest, or something? Maybe he really, really liked coconuts? No, he's got and engine, plenty of wood, an MIT education, and an energy source:

2214cdc4060a0b2908632821d92--desert-island-tv-land.jpg

You're going far too easy on the man. Are you his lawyer?!

I'm sorry if I derail your derailment, but today, browsing books of local history at Helgelandskysten (about midways up the Norwegian westcost), looking for the possible building site of a fishing boat from 1917, I came across this fascinating tale from the invasion in april 40. The advancing Germans were temporary stopped by the disabling of a ferry across a fjord or sound, whereupon two flying boats were pressed into service as troop transports. Not flying them, but ferrying them across, with soldiers lying clinging to the top of the wings. From the context it seems as if they were Bv 138's.

Now there's something your average medium bomber or Fw 200 will have difficulty doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back