Why did every country have a flying boat ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

True. Mind you, the Brits, with a far larger economy don't have much more. Today's RN of two (mostly CAG-less) CVs, two LPDs, six destroyers, twelve frigates, eight OPVs, eleven minesweepers, five SSNs and four boomers is a far cry from the size of the RN of just a few decades ago. Of course the marketing departments of the RN and is contracted shipbuilders will tell you that each of these ships is vastly more capable than those before, but a ship can only be in one place no matter its abilities. And like all navies, at least half of that fleet will be in port under refit, repair or rotation at any time.
The RN has WAY more. Even with fewer ships it is still the Royal Navy, not Mikhail's Navy.

The RN has WAY more.
Way more active ships, with men and parts to operate them? Absolutely.

I will feel better though when the QE class sail with hangars full of British-owned and operated F-35s and Crowsnest-equipped Merlins.

Now, as a Brit-born Canuck, if only I could see the RCN get their act together. We should have bought those two Mistrals, for example. If the RAN can afford to acquire and operate LHDs so can the RCN.

Last edited:
True. Mind you, the Brits, with a far larger economy don't have much more. Today's RN of two (mostly CAG-less) CVs, two LPDs, six destroyers, twelve frigates, eight OPVs, eleven minesweepers, five SSNs and four boomers is a far cry from the size of the RN of just a few decades ago. Of course the marketing departments of the RN and is contracted shipbuilders will tell you that each of these ships is vastly more capable than those before, but a ship can only be in one place no matter its abilities. And like all navies, at least half of that fleet will be in port under refit, repair or rotation at any time.
I assume the tradeoff is social programs, like universal Healthcare?

You know with a little work a Blackburn B20 could have been made into an amphibIan for the rescue operation on the beach of Gilligan's Island

996D446C-C53D-431B-88C9-8FFF53868E24.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back