Why did the P-47's gun barrels protrude so far?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks like Spitfire, Bf 109E, Zero, and Fw 190 share the same problem...
How about the P-51 - the one with, you know, 4 protruding cannon barrels?

Is no one going to say that all the barrels were the same length? And that on the P-47 two didn't protrude at all. Does that make it only 3/4 of a fighter bomber, can you create an air superiority fighter with a hack saw? I need to know.

I was thinking of posting the same thing, but decided it was more fun to see how this convo progressed as is.

The P-47's gun barrels protruded very far because the P-47 was intended as a fighter-bomber.
BS - P47 was designed as a air superriority fighter -fighter-bomber missions was never part of original AAC specification - which called for fighter outperforming possible enemies on high altitudies. It was excellent fighter bomber by accident - never really intended as it's primary role.

Good grief, everybody knows why once they quit joking.

Where the guns are positioned is determined by structure, smart designers make the path from the ammo cans to the gun breech as straight as possible to lessen ammo feed problems.

Lot's of aircraft with closely placed guns stagger, or offset their position, and some barrels end up stick out into the airsteam, the F4F, the Corsair when it had 20mm, the Lightning's 50's, even the Bf 109 cowl guns are offset.

If you've got several guns close together and you offset each gun, some are going to stick out.

The P-40 and P-51's .50 calibers had the same length gun barrels as the P-47, and every other BMG M2 .50 cal. armed aircraft out there in that era.
It's just that in some the barrels are more buried in the structure.

I am so getting a chuckle out of his post. I guess when I am shooting my AR or my K98s I can identify as a fighter-bomber because they have longer barrels. Then when I am shooting my handguns I can identify myself as an air superiority fighter. It is 2020 after all... :lol:

I am so getting a chuckle out of his post. I guess when I am shooting my AR or my K98s I can identify as a fighter-bomber because they have longer barrels. Then when I am shooting my handguns I can identify myself as an air superiority fighter. It is 2020 after all... :lol:
I just worry about the thought process.

Is no one going to say that all the barrels were the same length? And that on the P-47 two didn't protrude at all. Does that make it only 3/4 of a fighter bomber, can you create an air superiority fighter with a hack saw? I need to know.

Does it mean the ones that did protrude were just more excited?

In 1914 i can agree with that but does that make those that just dropped housebricks over the side heavy bombers ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back