Why no kits of...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Despite some cries that the hobby is dying, I actually believe we are in a golden age, with airplanes being kitted that where dreams only 5 or 10 years ago. So why are there no mass produced, plastic kits of the:

1) Arado Ar 234 A, the type that lacked a proper undercarriage and took off on a wheeled sled and landed on skids. Peddinghaus Decals even made a sheet of decals for this version in 1/72 with seemingly no actual kit being available. (It apparently was smaller than the B, not having to accommodate retractable landing gear.

2) Consolidated B-32 Dominator, I mean the type actually was used in combat! Not to mention the "what if?" possibilites (if your into that), and before you say too big, they kitted the B-36!

3) Vickers Warwick, actually served in WWII, 846 produced, basically a cooler version of the Wellington...much cooler.

4) Focke-Wulf Fw 187 Falke, sure the two seat version has a couple of companies produce it I. Kit for, but what about the first, single seat version? That would be nice, no?

What about you? Agree? Disagree? What can you argue that should be made, scale not withstanding.

i just want a new 1/48 Blackburn Buccaneer !

Tanmodels are about 3 years behind schedule for their's :(

refuse to pay over the odds for Airfix's old pretty rubbish kit

i just want a new 1/48 Blackburn Buccaneer !

Tanmodels are about 3 years behind schedule for their's :(

refuse to pay over the odds for Airfix's old pretty rubbish kit
Yeah I've tried that Airfix. Boy that was fun.

Mine would be a TF-102 or in other words, F-102B. The tadpole looking two seat F-102. Also a buildable P/F-82 in 48th.

I am still amazed when I think of going into various Toys-R-Us Stores (We Be Toys for those of you in Chicago) and finding that among the very few model kits available in each one was Revell's 1/72 Focke Wulf FW-187. Now, they made a total of what, something like 9 of those things, and no more than three saw even limited service? At the time the Monogram 1/72 BF-110 was not even in production and you'd have to look long and hard to find a store that had any 1/72 BF-110 in stock. So who thinks up this stuff? The FW-187 saw even less service than the P-82 and was far less noteworthy in every respect. But FW-187 kits were all over the place, thanks to Revell's apparent failed policy on recreational drug use by its employees and TRU's questionable choice of products, which may indicate contact with a parallel universe.
Admittedly, now I wish I'd bought one. I am not really interested in the FW-187, but it seems those kits go for pretty high prices now.

Back around 2000 I was stunned when I went in the local Walmart at 0600 one morning and found they had 1/32 Macchi C.202 kits for $10.50. I bought one, just to commemorate my astonishment. I thought we had reached the highest possible point of model kit availability, but now I don't know of any Walmart stores that even have one model kit on their shelves.

Try to find a Me163 Komet in 1/48, I'm amazed its out of production for many years! They sell very expensive on EBay.

Yes! Just think that in the 60's it was common to find the Hawk 1/48 Komet kit for 50 cents in dimestores, department stores, and drugstores. Testors issued it, and it as pretty common as well in the 90's, and I think their final issue was in the Hobby Shop Only box, which I have a few of.

Their 1/48 V-1 and Baka bomb kits are even more rare.

Yes, I think there were at least a couple of Me-163's from DML and another company. One was even the two seat trainer model. For that matter, I think it odd that we never had a widely available 1/48 He-162. I bought a couple of RG 1/32 He-162 a few years back; they are excellent kits and were only something like $21 each but would like to have had a 1/48 He-162.

Matchbox produced some pretty esoteric subject matter back in the 70s, and its kits sold pretty well, although the gimmicky multi-coloured plastic appealed to a younger demographic, their simplicity and relative low price, which probably helped. Take a 1/72 scale Privateer, Do 28 Skyservant, Norseman, He 115, Do 18, Ju 188, Me 410... How about a 1/32 scale Dauntless, Lysander and Spitfire 22/24? Lots of interesting stuff for modellers that got sick of endless Hurricanes, Spitfires and Mustangs. In terms of quality, they weren't great, no interior details, trenches for panel demarkations, but their biplanes were great, the SBC Helldiver, Boeing F-4B, Hawker Fury and AW Siskin were very well detailed for their size and age.

I agree with you though, Jim, there are a lot more kit manufacturers, and that are producing kits of unusual stuff that was overlooked for years.

Definitely someone should issue an updated Privateer.

I've always had this crazy idea of producing a Liberator Mk.II, which was a British only variant fitted with unturbocharged engines, the fuselage of what would become the B-24D, but with Boulton Paul gun turrets, the mid upper being moved aft of the wing box. For this you'll need a Matchbox Privateer kit for the wings and correct engine nacelles, Academy B-24D kit for the fuselage and Matchbox or any maker of a Handley Page Halifax Mk.III kit for the correct top and tail gun turrets. Voila! Liberator Mk.II!

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/HilverdaJohn/Additions/10905L-1.jpg

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Gladwin-Simms/3721L.jpg

An up to date 1/48 B-24 Liberator, B-26 Marauder, B-17 Flying Fortress (if HK Models is as bad as I've heard), B-29 Superfortress....wouldn't mind a Hampden, Halifax, Lancaster, He-115, He-177 either....
Would love to see more between the wars aircraft in 1/48 and 1/32....

I wouldn't be too surprised, if either of these would show up from ICM in 1/32....

IMG_20201106_075853.jpg

IMG_20201106_075834.jpg

IMG_20201106_075813.jpg

IMG_20201106_075750.jpg

Despite some cries that the hobby is dying, I actually believe we are in a golden age, with airplanes being kitted that where dreams only 5 or 10 years ago. So why are there no mass produced, plastic kits of the:

1) Arado Ar 234 A, the type that lacked a proper undercarriage and took off on a wheeled sled and landed on skids. Peddinghaus Decals even made a sheet of decals for this version in 1/72 with seemingly no actual kit being available. (It apparently was smaller than the B, not having to accommodate retractable landing gear.

2) Consolidated B-32 Dominator, I mean the type actually was used in combat! Not to mention the "what if?" possibilites (if your into that), and before you say too big, they kitted the B-36!

3) Vickers Warwick, actually served in WWII, 846 produced, basically a cooler version of the Wellington...much cooler.

4) Focke-Wulf Fw 187 Falke, sure the two seat version has a couple of companies produce it I. Kit for, but what about the first, single seat version? That would be nice, no?

What about you? Agree? Disagree? What can you argue that should be made, scale not withstanding.

Re: #4 there is an MPM kit in 1/48 Resin of the 187, not sure if it is still available
Re:#2 not enough people know about, not enough made , not in #s comparable to the B-29 or history/markings, at best a vac kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back