Why no Me-110H night fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't forget Albert Speer. By 44-45 he was restricting the manufacture of many designs that were deemed worthless including many bomber types because they needed fighters.

and why develop a night-fighter when you already had an excellent one with the He 219?

If I remember correctly, somewhere on this site we have established that the HE219 was not as wonderful as many people like to believe. On the other hand BOTH the ME110 and the JU88 were late thirties designs and both beyond their heyday but nevertheless quite usefull. Was the HE219 spacious enough to take on the latest radar equipment?
Funny I never heard any complaints in that direction about the Mosquito?

Last edited:
One could argue the Ju-88 didn't reach perfection until powered by DB603 / Jumo 213 engines.

However that makes little difference when discussing wartime production. After June 1941 Germany could not afford the delay of halting a major airframe program and retooling for an entirely new aircraft. Milch halted the Me-210 program during 1942 and it caused all sorts of problems. They aren't going to repeat the error on a much larger scale by halting Ju-88 production.

If I remember correctly, somewhere on this site we have established that the HE219 was not as wonderful as many people like to believe. On the other hand BOTH the ME110 and the JU88 were late thirties designs and both beyond their heyday but nevertheless quite usefull. Was the HE219 spacious enough to take on the latest radar equipment?
Funny I never heard any complaints in that direction about the Mosquito?

I guess my point is that we are dealing with hindsight. Maybe the 219 didn't pan out like they wanted, but at the time (in consideration to other designs) it appeared to be the answer.

Same with the 110/210 debate.

RLM thought the Me-210 had insufficient interior space to serve as a night fighter. So how could they expect the Me-210 to replace the Me-110 night fighter aircraft?

Because when the 210 was first flown on 2 Sept, the LW didn't have a NF force. Many NF at that time were single staffels using Bf 109Ds. Maybe they thought they would kill 2 birds with one stone by replacing the 110 in the fighter-bomber/interceptor role with the 210 and use the 110 for NF capabilities.

IMO that was probably the deciding factor for resuming Me-110 night fighter production at Gotha and converting MIAG back to Me-110 production after building only ten Me-210s.

It does nothing to explain why Me-210 light bomber production was halted at Augsburg and Regensburg as it was a different aircraft type with a different mission. But that is a topic for another discussion. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back