Why was P-36 so successful in the battle of France? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

He said he would always land wheels-up (that is, forget to lower the landing gear). The joke was the whole point, in agreement with what you said about the hazards of forgetting to lower the landing gear.

This is how I read it as well -- but I can be pedantic about language in my own reading.

He said he would always land wheels-up (that is, forget to lower the landing gear). The joke was the whole point, in agreement with what you said about the hazards of forgetting to lower the landing gear.
1655488066328.png

If you're trying to kill the guy on the ground from exhaustion, it's "switch off".

Otherwise, "switch on" (because you want the engine to start).
GrauGeist is correct. "Switch on" and "contact" mean the same thing.

In our antique aircraft club, more often it was
Prop guy: "Switch off" or just "Off" then pull the prop through X blades to oil each cylinder.
("Switch off" to avoid confusion with "Switch on.")
Prop guy: "Make it hot"
Pilot: "Hot" or "contact"
And swing that hummer.

A bit of info about the Tomahawk I during testing on its arrival in the UK, the first that underwent testing was BK853 in late 1940. This aircraft had no radios, guns, navigation lights or flame dampening exhausts, but other aspects of testing, such as radiator cooling on the ground were found to be satisfactory. Initially, based on US reports of a tendency to ground loop, testing was done from grass and concrete at Tangmere and the pilots found no difficulty in keeping it straight with the tailwheel interconnected to the rudder.

Gunnery trials were done with AK900 from February 1941 with gun harmonisation, which caused a few issues as there was considerable movement of the barrels and heating of the guns was insufficient. This problem was investigated at length at Duxford. A second aircraft, AK160 acquired for trials found that firing was acceptable but the mounting for the gunsight kept breaking and required strengthening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back