Width and height of jump door on C-47 for D-Day?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tlcopp

Recruit
Jan 11, 2010
Hi, thank you for any insights you may have. I am looking for specs on the height and width of the jump door on the C-47 -- I've looked in manuals but had no luck finding measurements. Thank you for any help!
Tara

Can't give specifics but the C-130 door was 36in wide and I would guess the C-47 to be about the same. I've been on board Spooky and the door seemed maybe 5'6" - 5'8"
3691ca6c.jpg
73334283.jpg
but that was curved to follow the fuselage

George, don't think that's the same thing. The Jump Door opened IN and was removed completely from the opening by the handles then stowed to the rear

I don't have the dimensions to hand, but when standing in the door, my head was around four inches clear of the top of the sill (I'm 5'10''. and I was in the 'jump position, so equivalent of around 5' 7'') - but this was with the complete door open. The height would be about 2 to 3 inches less, with the door frame closed, and the panel removed.
Here's a few pics which might be of use. The chap standing at the door is around my height.
The scale pane that Geo posted could provide the dimensions, if you measure the door and calculate against the scale shown.

Dak door 1.jpg
Dak door 2.jpg
Dak door 3.jpg

For what it's worth, the DC-3 passenger door was 59" X 30". The cargo double-door version was 71" X 84.5". Maximum height in the cabin was 79".
But the really interesting statistic I found was Douglas needed to sell 50 DC-3s to "break even".

They certainly achieved that!

Graeme 59" is 4ft 9in that seem awfully short for passengers. When I got into Spooky in Vietnam I had to duck my head (I'm 76") but not to 4'9". 71" is more reasonable but still seems high to me.
Data compiled for millions of inductees in WWII shows the following to be the actual measurements of the "average" newcomer to the Army as he appears at the clothing counter of a reception center: 5' 8" tall; 144 pounds in weight; 33 ¼" chest measurement; 31" waist measurement. From the tariff tables showing the frequency of size issues it is found that the sizes most frequently issued are a 7 to 7½ hat, number 9 gloves, a 15 shirt with a 33" sleeve, a 36 regular jacket, a pair of trousers with a 32" waist and a 32" leg length, size 11 socks, and size 9-D shoes. These figures may be taken to indicate the size of the "average American young man.
Audie Murphy was only 5'5". Paras might average a bit taller 5'10" so 173cm to 178cm on the average.
These are C-47s on D-day. Note the men standing in the Jump Door for scale
Pathfinder_Plane4.jpg
Pathfinder_Plane15.jpg
Pathfinder_Plane16.jpg

Here's a photo that gives a good idea of the jump door's dimensions.

You'll note the main doors are closed and the jump door has been removed to allow the paratroopers to go aboard.

Geo's drawing is accurate, as the C-47 had three doors: the two main cargo doors (left/right) and the jumpdoor, which was located within the forward cargo door. As has been mentioned, the jumpdoor was removed for a mission by removing (unlatching) it from the forward door and stowed out of the way.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back