Wingnut Wings is No More....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The company is based in New Zealand which has implemented what is arguably the most aggressive and complete lockdown of any country in the world in the face of the current pandemic.

There is nothing on the website which implies that the company is shutting up for good, and frankly the repetition of unfounded rumours on the linked modelling news site is not helpful.

I doubt that Wingnut Wings can carry on any sort of business at the moment, in simple terms staff members will not be allowed to work, similar to some companies here in the UK (like Sovereign Hobbies). Going to work to manufacture or despatch plastic models does not qualify someone as an essential or key worker. This does not mean that they will permanently close, it just means that there will be a hiatus in their operations until some of the strictest elements of NZ's lockdowns are lifted.

I'm guessing some of the guys based in the US have no idea how strict some of the lockdowns around the world are, and NZ's is one of, if not the, strictest.

Yep, that does seem permanent,
Sad indeed for those who built those kits, which were by all accounts excellent.

Very sad indeed, especially for the dedicated staff there.
I wonder who has acquired the moulds, and who will produce the kits, including, I hope, the Lancaster ?

Terry,

If I were to speculate I would think someone in china would acquire the molds. Remember some years ago there were those guys that wanted to produce 1/32B-25 Mitchell's and other WW2 bombers but they couldn't make a go of it and they had to sell to HK Models? I hope a good company acquires the molds like say a Great Wall Hobby or Tamiya.

Well, if they're going to sell molds, how about we all chip in and buy it ourselves? Certainly there are those here who know enough to run a company?

To quote Shaggy, "It's just so crazy, it might work."

Last edited:
AT6, the Tamiya 1/48th scale Lancaster was first released in 1975. I bought one in 1978, at around £25 - a lot of money, even then.
The kit has since been up-dated, with some new parts, such as different tail turret, canopy etc, but is still inaccurate in some areas, and over-priced for what it is, by today's standards.
Now, Revell released a 1/72nd scale Lanc around 1984 /65, in two versions, bomber and 'Dam Buster', which would have been around £5 in the USA. Built one of each back then.

Users who are viewing this thread