Worst aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Parmigiano said:
Another contender : General Motors (Fisher Body Division) XP 75 'Eagle'

Gawd, I had forgotten about this abortion. I do have to admit that during the war the US came up with some pretty strange designs.

:{)

Well its pretty useless unarmed eh? Haha.. got you! (and your probably thinking, "Wow what an idiot..." dont worry i get that a lot)

the lancaster kicks ass said:
although if he means payload i can see his point about the B-17 being uselessy armed :lol:

Well the USAAF did send B-29s with only thier tailguns to do fire raids over Japan.

although if he means payload i can see his point about the B-17 being uselessy armed :lol:

Umm Lanc the B-17 could carry as much as the Lanc, but it did not for range reasons.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
No I am not thinking that, but they would not send an un armed bomber out over Germany.

The British sent unarmed (well they had bombs obviously) Mosquitos over Germany.

I suppose if you could lighten it enough to make it fly faster and/or higher than the enemy interceptors then it might work.

adler you know as much as anyone that the lanc carried not only more on average per sortie than the B-17 but the lanc also had a greater maximum payload..........

But only 400lbs if we dont include the specially modified Grandslam lancs...B-17's had to carry around all those guns and ammo and armour plating too...

the lanc could carry the grand slam without modification (apart from removing the bomb bay doors) it was simply modified to increase range...........

Well the USAAF did send B-29s with only thier tailguns to do fire raids over Japan.

:{)[/quote]

Thats cause the Japanese had no nightfighter force to really worry about.[/quote]

Yes and no. Also one of the reasons was to lighten the load as the Superforts firebombed Japan at low lovel.

adler you know as much as anyone that the lanc carried not only more on average per sortie than the B-17 but the lanc also had a greater maximum payload..........

A B-17 gave up some of its bomb payload so that it could have a greater range and carry greater defensive armament. That is the only reason why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back