Worst aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i know that the tbd did get mauled but it is worth it considering that the four flattops at midway got sunk

The komet was a horrible aircraft. In reality the 623 mph speed of the Me-163 was too great for accurate firing and the two 60 round cannons did not allow the pilot a lot of flexibility in combat. Finally the rocket motor only allowed seven and a half minutes of flight. One pass, and that was all. On landing, the rocket fuel often caused an explosion that usually destroyed the aircraft. The Me-163 killed more pilots than enemy bombers. It was just to far ahead of its time

On landing, the rocket fuel often caused an explosion that usually destroyed the aircraft. time

While I agree that the Me 163 was very far from the greatest aircraft, I think you will find that it did not explode as often as you think.

Was it dangerous? Hell yes it was, and many pilot died flying it.

I do not have that information.

In the end more Me 163 were lost than the bombers they were trying to shoot down. I believe they only shot down about 11 bombers. It really was not the greatest the plane.

Yeah, i think it was just to far ahead of its time... The wing design really was amazing. Lippish delta i believe its called and wasn't that same design used on the F4D Skyray? One amazing thing i think is that it could climb to combat altitude in 2 minutes. Even if the plane wasn't very effective, thats still pretty darn good.

Too bad it wasn't adapted, or redesigned around a jet engine. (or if Lippish had decided to develop one of the similar jet based projects instead)

They could have used a viable single engine jet fighter earlier in the war.

Yeah, i think it was just to far ahead of its time... The wing design really was amazing. Lippish delta i believe its called and wasn't that same design used on the F4D Skyray? One amazing thing i think is that it could climb to combat altitude in 2 minutes. Even if the plane wasn't very effective, thats still pretty darn good.

The Lippisch Delta was not used in the Me 163. It was a swept wing design and not a delta wing.

The aircraft you are thinking of is the Lippisch P.13.

And I believe data from the P.13a (and the DM1 test glider) went to Convair, contributing to the XP-92/XF-92 designs.
DM1

Also, don't confuse the P.13a and P.13b ramjet delta winged fighters with the completely unrelated Lippisch P.13, a push-pull piston engined high speed bomber. Lippisch P.13 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But in the case of the F4D, Flyboy2 seems to have been half right. While the Me 163 didn't used the "Lippisch Delta" the F4D did draw from the Me 163, as it too is a tailless swept wing a/c and not a true delta. (albeit with a much higher sweep and low aspect ratio, making the F4D resemble a delta)

Lippisch Aerodyne Research
German work on delta wing planforms, directed by Dr. Alexander Lippisch, led to a US Navy proposal in 1947 for a short-range carrier-based interceptor fighter using a similar layout. Project studies were initiated by the Douglas design team led by Ed Heinemann with the object of producing a fighter optimized for a high rate of climb and capable of intercepting enemy aircraft before they reached their targets. These studies led to a design which, rather than being a pure delta, was a tailless aircraft with a sweptback wing of extremely low aspect ratio, following Dr. Lippisch's own evolution of this layout for the Messerschmitt Me-163 target-defence interceptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back