WW III....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

These scenario's always seem to have a RTS "gamer" mindset to them, backed up with a healthy helping of poetic license. For example; watching the Greatest Tank Battles episode about SS-Panzer Ace Michael Wittmann, they point out how his unit was re-assigned to the Normandy area shortly before Operation Overlord kicked off. Before he could get his Tiger tanks to face the Allies, they had been reduced to a fraction of their original strength by Allied air power. Soviet aircraft at the time had little ability to operate at higher altitudes. This would allow British and American bombers to rain steel on Soviet equipment, supplies, and manpower before it had a chance to concentrate mass, with impunity. Then there's the inconvenient (unmentioned in this video) fact, that British and American Naval strength was at its peak in all categories at this time.

In all likelihood, a small unit skirmish over treatment of civilians would be brushed under the rug very quickly as a misunderstanding. The Americans and British continuously overlooked instances of Soviet transgressions throughout the war. This video relies heavily on "a Patton quote" from the movie about him. Patton was a soldier, not a rogue. He wouldn't have run off willy-nilly, endangering his country and men, without explicit orders. Here's the quote being misstated:

"We promised the Europeans freedom. It would be worse than dishonorable not to see they have it. This might mean war with the Russians, but what of it? They have no Air Force anymore, their gasoline and ammunition supplies are low. I've seen their miserable supply trains; mostly wagons draw by beaten up old hoses or oxen. I'll say this; the Third Army alone with very little help and with damned few casualties, could lick what is left of the Russians in six weeks. You mark my words. Don't ever forget them... Someday we will have to fight them and it will take six years and cost us six million lives."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back