WW1 aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It wasn't out of any concern or kindness to the enemy pilots, they were just being realistic in not expecting direct hits.

Oh, sounds feasible enough in the 60s, but accuracy improved quickly with weapons like the Sparrow and Skyflash. That was explained to me by a guy who worked on them with the RAF (the Skyflash, not the Sparrow). We had a dismantled example where I worked and I had a few techies over the years explain stuff to me about them.

I have a walkaround of that Nieuport here:

Warbirds | Warbirds Walkaround

Captain Eddie Rickenbacker was the oldest ace of the war. One even states "At the advanced age of 27 he was two years older than the age limit for pilots but Rickenbacker proved a natural in the cockpit. Thanks to driving around General Pershing, he was able to talk his way into the Air Service, receive flight training and then ended up in command of the USAS 94th Aero Squadron finishing the war with 26 victories and the Medal of Honor.

Here is a shot of the Fokker E.III no. 210/16 captured because of the mistake of a German pilot landing on enymy airfield. The caption says that the number is the 210 what sounds good especially there are other images of the captured plane. However if you look at the enlarged number it is not sure entirely. IMHO it should be 218 ... Thoughts?

pic source: the net..

Humm.. I would say the shape of the rudder ( IMHO that's the part you mean by the tail ) is an optical trick intensified by the vertical strips. Also it might be noticed that the shape can be different because of the angle a pic was taken with. Certainly , the edition of the size of the image can't be eliminated.

Thank you, I couldn't remember the word...yes, the rudder is what I was getting at.
The top pic in post # 232 is from the same series of shots as the one I commented on?
If so, then yes, it was s trick of the lens, otherwise, I can see the rudder seen in the pic you are questioning seems less rounded than the others you showed.

Users who are viewing this thread