WW1 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sopwith? Really? That's pretty cool! \\:D/
I've only known the Camel's to be powered by the Clerget engines.
Thanks for the info! :thumbup:
several different engines where used including le rhone 110 hp clerget 9b 130 hp clerget 9bf 140 hp bentley br1 150 hp
and in case you didnt know lots of camels where built by other firms for example the austin car company boulton and paul and many others

Albatros D.III OAW built no. D.636/17

full.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you are right. ... Weli Sheikh Nuran, Palestine. 8 October 1917. A German Air Force D III Albatros no. D.636/17, flown by Oberleutnant Gustav Adolf Dittmar of Fliegerabteilung 300 unit. The aircraft had been shot down, practically intact, into AIF Light Horse lines near Bersheeba by a Bristol fighter aircraft flown by Lieutenant R. Steele a Canadian pilot with No 111 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. No 1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, members recovered the machine and moved it to their airfield where repairs, including a bullet holed radiator, were carried out returning it to flying condition.

Here is another shot of her while being captured and examined by Australian soldiers..

full.jpg

The pic source: Home | The Australian War Memorial

I wonder what those soldiers thought about the plane (aside from the fact that it belongs to the enemy), seeing it up close like that.
Probably the first (and maybe, only) time they had a chance to do that.

Elvis

I would say they could have found the plane a modern one. Contrary to other planes of that era the fuselage covered with the plywood looking like semi-shell, a quite good engine. A nice appearance, etc.. all that made the plane interesting with the aviation techology.

It is possible one of those men in the shot is my Grandfather, though I cant recognize him. He was in Beersheba at that date. Along with several thousand other Light Horsemen. If these men can be identified as members of the 7th mounted regiment, my interest will go up considerably

It is possible one of those men in the shot is my Grandfather, though I cant recognize him. He was in Beersheba at that date. Along with several thousand other Light Horsemen. If these men can be identified as members of the 7th mounted regiment, my interest will go up considerably

Try posting the image with your question under the "War in the Air" sub-forum of the Great War Forum (just Google "Great War Forum" and you'll find the link). There are some very knowledgeable chaps and chappesses on that site who may be able to offer more info than you ever thought possible.

Parsifal,

Was your grandfather in the same regiment that was portrayed in the movie The Lighthorsemen?
I love that movie. One of my favourites.

Elvis
Best way to show his units is to post the details of one of his service medals. Pte AW Glenn, service number 158, posted to the 7th LH regt

upload_2018-8-8_15-6-9.png

Try posting the image with your question under the "War in the Air" sub-forum of the Great War Forum (just Google "Great War Forum" and you'll find the link). There are some very knowledgeable chaps and chappesses on that site who may be able to offer more info than you ever thought possible.
I think I might........

The images posted are several that can be traced back to the AWM collection

here is another

upload_2018-8-8_15-31-20.png

7LH was in the area generally at approximately the time the aircraft was recovered, with the regt pushing past the city and engaging in sustained patrol activity. as the british began their push toward Jerusalem. My grandfather was a designated scout, issued a fine grey horse nearly 17 hands high. My dad mentioned a story a few times about how my grandfather was involved in the capture of a german officer. This makes me wonder if it had anything to do with this aircraft. I cant prove anything and chances are stacked firmly against any of this, still its intriguing to say the least.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Albatros-DIII-and-DVa/DVa

Captain Ross-Smith (left) and Observer in front of a Modern Bristol Fighter, 1st Squadron A.F.C. Palestine, February 1918.

Nice picture; there's a series of similarly coloured images taken of 1 Sqn AFC at the time. Ross MacPherson Smith and his brother Keith were the first to fly an aeroplane between England and Australia, a Vickers Vimy, which is on display at Adelaide airport, South Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back