WW1 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would say the idea for the kind of propulsion was used because of possibility of getting of the best forward visibility for the observer in the first cockpit. What is more the way the plane was powered doesn't seem to be the ducted fan. The four-blade prop was attached to the ring spinning around the fuselage just behind the wings. Here a couple of shots found via the net where the prop can be seen better. So no tunnel there for the prop.

d4_1.jpg

d4_2.jpg

d4_3.jpg

d4_4.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Apologies Wurger. From this picture....

5a6df373bce881c7ab713c65d92e1fb7.jpg

...I thought I could see blades inside the ring in the middle section.
Obviously, those are cylinders.
Thanks for the clarification. =)

Elvis

Ah sorry I was sure you reffered to the pic with the Gallaudet D-4.

Here is the Spad SA-2 with the similar way of propulsion but with the tractor prop ..

SPAD SA-2 early.jpg

The idea was to put the prop behind the guns, before they had working interrupter gears.

I would say the reason could be possible too. IMHO the idea of putting the prop behind the guns wasn't the main reason ( if at all ) since a gun synchronizer was well-know from 1915 at least. The Gallaudet D-4.appeared in 1918 and the Galvin HC in 1919. The Airco DH.2 Pusher appeared in 1915 as the "response" to the Fokker plane with the synchronized MG and actually was an alternative because of the temporary lack of the gun synchronizer by the Allies. In 1918 and especially in 1919 the idea of moving the prop behind guns doesn't seem to be realistic because the kind of the synchronizing device was well known and used by all sides of the war in that time.

I am lucky enough to have W.O Bentley's biography and there's a whole chapter on the aero engines he designed in WWI, yet I've never heard of any airplane from their era using a "Bentley....".
...actually, come to think of it, I don't think it was produced under his name, so it may be under another name.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?
What airplanes used his engine(s)?

Elvis

One of the engines used by the Sopwith Camel was the 150hp Bentley AR1/BR1.

The 1st Snipe used a Bentley BR1 engine. Another engine used by the Snipe was the 230hp BR2.

Sopwith? Really? That's pretty cool! \\:D/
I've only known the Camel's to be powered by the Clerget engines.
Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back