WW1 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wiki Page on Fokker D.VIII said:
The first production E.V aircraft were shipped to Jasta 6 in late July. The new monoplane was also delivered to Jasta 1, Jasta 19, Jasta 24 and Jasta 36. Leutnant Emil Rolff scored the first kill in an E.V on August 17, 1918...
I stand corrected!
...nice pics Wurger. =)

An Italian Nieuport 11 ...Ni.2187. The engine cowling is painted in the same way.

full.jpg

Neat pictures Fokker F I 102/17, as featured in this clip. Richtofen flew it at one stage...

View: https://youtu.be/XIiuyijwKRs

A different way of thinking.

Not as different as we might think, most modern (60s, 70s, 80s era) air to air missiles, the Sidewinder, Sparrow etc were designed not to hit the targe tbut explode alongside or near it. The Sparrow had proximity sensors that triggered the explosive. This was hollow and contained shards opf metal that would shred the enemy aircraft's structure, but not be such a force to kill the pilot instantly. This enabled the occupant to eject.

Neat pictures Fokker F I 102/17, as featured in this clip. Richtofen flew it at one stage...

Not as different as we might think, most modern (60s, 70s, 80s era) air to air missiles, the Sidewinder, Sparrow etc were designed not to hit the targe tbut explode alongside or near it. The Sparrow had proximity sensors that triggered the explosive. This was hollow and contained shards opf metal that would shred the enemy aircraft's structure, but not be such a force to kill the pilot instantly. This enabled the occupant to eject.

When I went to the USAF school to service these weapons in the mid 60s, they explained that the proximity fuse allowed the missile to close to it's closest possible proximity, it set off the warhead the very microsecond that the range started increasing. It wasn't out of any concern or kindness to the enemy pilots, they were just being realistic in not expecting direct hits.

WOW!...good job on the research Wurger! Could very well be the same plane...unless you know otherwise.

Oh yes.. the replic you posted above isn't the same Nieuport 11 no Ni.2187 I attached. The replic is of the Nieuport 11 no. Ni.2123. The plane was flown by Alvaro Leonardi, 80 Squadriglia.

nieuport 11 2123 replic_a.jpg

nieuport 11 2123 replic_b.jpg

Here is the true kite seen ..

Alvaro_Leonardi_1.jpg

Alvaro_Leonardi_1a.jpg

Also he seems to use another Nieuport with quite similar art instead of the Italian roundel.. it was no.Ni.2152 Nieuport 11.

Alvaro_Leonardi_2.jpg

What is more here is the next one Nieuport 11 no.Ni.2140 with the next variant of the art. The one was flown by Sergente Maggiore Michele Allasia, 80 Squadriglia.

Alvaro_Leonardi_3.jpg

Alvaro_Leonardi_3a.jpg

the pic source: the net.

If you watch the video, I swear to God that at about the 2:20 mark, the second guy from the left is Yul Brynner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back