WW1 Bombers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And you have paid attention in the article mentioned by you
Parasite aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
on very interesting airplane "Bristol Scout on Felixstowe Porte Baby first composite aircraft"?
And it flied in 1916!

800px-Bristol_Scout_on_Felixstowe_Porte_Baby_first_composite_aircraft_1916.jpg

My hobby Russian and foreign pilots on all fronts WWI and Civil war in Russia.

Hi NightFlightAs.

I think you should start a thread on this subject. It would be interesting.

By the way. Remember this photograph you uploaded on the previous page? I'm pretty sure it's not from the Handley Page stable, but is in fact a Blackburn product. The Blackburn General Purpose...

Blackburn General Purpose - patrol bomber seaplane

Hi NightFlightAs.

I think you should start a thread on this subject. It would be interesting.

And I'll even say ..Please...:D ...

It must of been a real trick to fly those big boys... Planes on the top of the wings would be a little top heavy..

Onthe K-7 the first pic show something on the roof ..Looks like big guns..I'll give the Russians one thing ..They will try anything ..And thats a good thing in my book...

That wasn't the one I was talking about. This one is Russian and it is a very old photo. There are definately four fighters under the wing. I really can't remember what it was but the photo you posted was not the configuration I have. I'll have to try and dig out the photo...

Yes, that is exactly it. I remember seeing this one somewhere and it stuck in my head. Certainly impressive with five attached fighters...

Originally Posted by Graeme
Hi 'NightFlightAs',

Do you have more on the 0/400 photo? If you view the "original image" you can just make out two American flags on the noseand I'm wondering if it's the Langley, one of eight(?) 0/400s produced by the Standard Aircraft Corporation in New Jersey. Anyone know if it was one of the three used in Mitchell's air-power demonstrations?...

http://www.mind42.com/wiki/Billy_Mitchell

And more...Handley-Page-0/400

Handley-Page-0400.jpg

Handley-Page-0400-2.jpg

Handley-Page-0400-3.jpg

All photo WW1 Aircraft:
HistoricAircraft.org

those things were enormous and scary, i would never fly in one of those
afterall there were no parachute at that time, you would have to be very vrave to fly those planes

There were parachutes at that time. Most pilots in WW1 did not have them though because there was no room in the cockpit for them.

Parachutes had been around since 1603 when Štefan Banič successfully demonstrated one in Bratislava, Slovakia. Faust Vrančić actually invented a parachute in 1595.

The modern parachute dates back to 1783.

During WW1 most airman equiped with parachutes were in the Balloons or Zeppelins.

Later in 1918 the German Luftwaffe was the first airforce to issue them to all air crew members.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
thanks for the information, i was simply basing my theory on the movie "Flyboys":rolleyes:
but still, you've to agree, those huge planes were a little unsafe

I also thought it was because of the dangers that the parachute still held. I mean I can remember that Russian experiments with parachutes and even in America consisted of gathering volunteers and most ended up dying or being disfigured.

Siemens-Schuckert R.VIII R23/16, 1918
he Siemens-Schuckert R.VIII was a bomber aircraft designed and built in Germany from 1916.

Armed with the experience gained in the development of the Steffen R series, Siemens-Schuckert felt confident in their ability to produce even larger bombers. Their next project was developing a new design that dwarfed anything they had previously built. Their plan was to produce a six engined Riesenflugzeug for the Military Air Service.As with many of the other contemporary R projects the R.VIII had all six engines inside the fuselage, where they were tended by mechanics, driving two tractor and two pusher propellers, mounted between the mainplanes, via leather cone clutches combining gearboxes, shafts and bevel gearboxes. Two aircraft were built but only the first, R23/16, was completed. Ground trials began in 1919, after the armistice. The trials were interrupted by a gearbox failure which resulted in a propeller breaking up and causing extensive damage to the aircraft.

The second airframe, R24/16 was never completed and the first not repaired after the ground running accident due to the Versaille Treaty restrictions. At the time of its completion the Siemens-Schuckert R.VIII was the largest complete aeroplane in the world, (the Mannesman-Poll triplane was to have been much bigger but was not completed before the Versaille Treaty restrictions were applied).
_ssw.jpg
109-1.jpg
9001L-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back