WW2 Aviation Mythbusters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Even worse, only 3 out of 87 APC examined could be attributed to air lunched RPs.

Now that also bothered me a bit because I think that why to waste RPs to an APC when 4 Hispanos should be able to knock it out to say nothing on possible occupants, so I looked in my copy of Gooderson's book, not found that info but noticed that on the page 114 there was a table that shows around Mortain area of the 23 examined APCs 7 was destroyed by rockets, 4 by Cannon/MG fire, 1 was abandoned intact, 3 were destr by US Army and 8 were lost to unknown reason. None was destr by Germans. So almost half of the ACs were destr by air attacks, a bit highher number than I expected but not much because open topped lightly armoured vehicles were vulnerable to air attacks. I was more surprised that RPs had destr more APCs than a/c cannon/mg fire.

Also noted that earlier a team had found abandoned Panthers with full fuel tanks and ammo, so as I wrote earlier, not all abandoned AFVs were abandoned because of lack of fuel and more important is to notice that German forces outside the pockets usually had fuel to manoeuvre, so the lack of fuel inside a pocket was usually caused by the tactical situation as is usual sooner or later among surroudered forces.

Juha

Found this link on another forum listing 99 Facts from WW2. Thought it might be of interest in this discussion. I did not want to start a whole new thread just tp post this link, it seemed relevant to me. Maybe we can go through these 99 facts and label them as fact or myth.
99 Fascinating Facts about World War II

Found this link on another forum listing 99 Facts from WW2. Thought it might be of interest in this discussion. I did not want to start a whole new thread just tp post this link, it seemed relevant to me. Maybe we can go through these 99 facts and label them as fact or myth.
99 Fascinating Facts about World War II

I have read it and spotted one mistake, when writing about casualties the author writes about Russia and Russians in context of Soviet Union and Soviet Union citizens and that is wrong because those are two different things. Soviet Union was made of many countries not only Russia.

Re #70 on this list.

I would hazard a guess that there were considerably more personnel loses associated with the sinking of USS Arizona then with USS Indianapolis.

Re #70 on this list.

I would hazard a guess that there were considerably more personnel loses associated with the sinking of USS Arizona then with USS Indianapolis.

seems you would hazard correctly. just did a quickie look around ( and not in wiki )....USS Arizona lost 1100 of her crew according to the one site while the USS Indy lost 883. Now maybe it was the greatest loss of life AFTER Pearl....

According to wiki:

USS Arizona 1177,

USS Indianapolis 880,

and the quote from wiki about USS Indy "...which led to the greatest single loss of life at sea in the history of the U.S. Navy".

Maybe there is a difference if the ship is at sea or at the harbour...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back