WW2 Gliders. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My father during WWII based with squadrons that towed Horsa gliders. These squadrons initially used Armstrong Whitworth Whitley bombers to train with. Paratroops were in the body of the aircraft and the Whitley towed the glider. This training was done on Boscombe Downs. By the time of D-Day they had converted to Albermarles (the first tricycle undercarriage bomber of the RAF). The same setup was used for Arnhem, which he also flew on, crashing on his return, due to Anti-aircraft damage. He spent the rest of the war in plaster from his chest to toe on his left leg.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
sounds interesting, do you know any more??
I actually have video of the Albermarle's and Horsa's doing training. I got this off the British Pathe Achive, so guess not kosher to post the vid here :oops:

Yes that would be great! We say here that as long as no-one tries to claim the material for their own its ok to post copyrighted material. If the Copyrighter asked for it to be removed then we will do so...

But by all means! POST THAT VIDEO! 8)

Damed if I can figure out how to get to post a video on here. Thick I guess
It is 7.5 megs in size, so that could be a problem.

7.5 megs is fine. To post a video, place the file in a zip folder. Then when you wish to post it, com to this thread and click "post reply" at the bottom of the page. A new window will come up and you should see a text box and a box below in which you can attach a file. Browse to find the file and attach it, type a message in the text box and away you go 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back