WW2 Information search

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Charles1950

Recruit
Apr 15, 2021
Cape Town, South Africa.
Hi, my name is Charles and I am new to this forum looking for guidance. My father was an aircraft mechanic with the SAAF during WW2. He went from South Africa to Egypt and then to Italy. Unfortunately he did not want to talk much about what he did, or where he had been stationed, but he did say that he had worked on Spitfires, Mosquitos and the flying fortress. His name was Edward John Jones (Eddie) and I just wanted to find out more about his service in the airforce. I would appreciate it if someone could help. He was very young when he joined the airforce, approximately 17 years of age.

You may want to ask here, SAAF Museum | Pretoria | Swartkop or whichever archives exists in South Africa.
Unfortunately it's difficult to find any information about mechanics. If you knew which Squadrons he may have been assigned too would help.

Last edited:
You may want to ask here, SAAF Museum | Pretoria | Swartkop or whichever archives exists in South Africa.
Unfortunately it's difficult to find any information about mechanics. If you knew which Squadrons he may have been assigned too would help.
Have sent them a request but seeing as it was over a weekend I will have to wait and see what comes up during the week. I have found my dad's service number, 313451.V, and see he joined 20/09/1941 at the age of 17 in Voortrekkerhoogte. Discharged 02/03/1946 in Bloemfontein.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back