WW2 Japanese Senninbari (Thousand Stitch Belt) --Translation Request

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

May 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and thought this would be a good first post. I'm a young collector and just becoming interested in WW2 artifacts. I purchased this Senninbari and was hoping it could be translated. I've seen the amazing work Shinpachi has done helping out members on the form with flags. Hopefully these pictures are good enough to read...

---Joel

Screenshot_20190529-204247~2.png
Screenshot_20190529-204253~2.png
Screenshot_20190529-204253~3.png

It says -

池田半次郎様 For Mr. Ikeda, Hanjiro

祈武運長久 Praying for your good fortune in battle

府招上 Fumaneki-Kami (a district located in Imari City, Saga Prefecture in Kyusyu, Japan)

国防婦人会 National Defense Women's Association (existed during 1932-1942. Reorganized as Great Japan Women's Association in 1942)

On the other side -

奉納堂(?) Dedication Hall (probably dedicated something to a shrine to be given this cloth but I have no exact idea)

Shinpachi,

Wow! I can never thank you enough for helping translate the information on the Senninbari for me. It means the world to me. I have never seen one with so many details. What an amazing piece of history. I wish I could find out more history on the soldier that owned it.

Thank you,
---Joel

Last edited:
I have found out same name in the same district in a local paper issued in 1973 though one Chinese word for Ji of Hanjiro is different with same pronunciation. He might have come home alive.

I have found out same name in the same district in a local paper issued in 1973 though one Chinese word for Ji of Hanjiro is different with same pronunciation. He might have come home alive.

Shinpachi,

That's amazing! That makes me feel a lot better about the Senninbari. Is there any way to message me a copy of that newspaper? Finding the background behind the item is the reason I collect. That way it is not lost in history. I have spent my whole morning researching the location and name, but can't find much.

---Joel

Last edited:
That is truly amazing. Thank you so much! I now have the whole story behind this amazing artifact. It will be the centerpiece of my WW2 Japanese collection that I display at local events. I am currently printing/framing all the information you have gave me. I will display it in his honor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back