WW2 top ten planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I guess mine would be something like this:

P-38
B-29
B-25
Fw-190
Spitfire
Mossie
F4U
C-47
Yak-3
Ju-88

But these could just as easily be amoungst the 10

B-17
Lanc
B-24
G.55
Ki-100
F6F
La-7

As we reached the best possible piston engined limits there were a lot of planes there.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
I guess mine would be something like this:

P-38
B-29
B-25
Fw-190
Spitfire
Mossie
F4U
C-47
Yak-3
Ju-88

But these could just as easily be amoungst the 10

B-17
Lanc
B-24
G.55
Ki-100
F6F
La-7

As we reached the best possible piston engined limits there were a lot of planes there.

wmaxt
Good list wmaxt.

I agree on that last point as well by the end of WW2 there were a lot of decent piston engined aircraft around, so it is hard to choose (just personal favourites I guess).

Here's mine:

1) P38
2) B-25
3) P51
4) ME-109
5) B17
6) Spitfire
7) C47
8 ) Focke Wulf 190
9) Mosquito
10) B-29

Amongst these would also include:

Thypoon
P47
P40
He 111
JU87
F4U Corsair

Spitfire(all models)
P-51 Mustang
P-38 Lightning
Mig-3
IAR-80 ( :) )
Bf-109
Fw-190
Ju-87 Stuka
P-61 Blackwidow

GT you might want to remove the A-8/N pic motorcowling scan copyrighted by friend, artist Simon Schatz. I know he is not too keen on having his paintings-profiles downloaded to other sites. A/C from 1./NJG r 10 one of the few in the staffel using the FuG 218 Neptun radar and strange antler fittings. flown by ace Ofw. Migge

interesting guys as at least some have done some homework on their personal favourites.

I still think the Mossie XXX for the Allies and the Ju 88G-6 for the Luftwaffe as the best night fighters. don't think anything else comes close except the Me 262A-1a but the range was too short.

The Me 262A seems to be best suited for bomber destroying work and not fighter vs fighter over the Reich.

for Fighters it would be the P-51K and the Bf 109G-10. The Ta 152H although a favourite of mine was in too few a number and cannot be thoroughly judged, except if the war had continued two more years, 109's Doras would of been replced by jets and even the Ta 152H would of been phazed out overall. Even thought of the heavy SturmFw A-8/R8 but again it was a US pulk destroyer not well liked at all for facing P-47's or P-51's

For heavies yes the late mark Lanc and the B-17G

the Ju 88A comes to mind being used from wars start to end and evolving in the bomber-recon roles and did seem for the Luftwaffes arsenal to be fit for the overall best in machines. did not have the long range, altitude nor heavy payloads to be considered in the big boy bomber category.

Recon I will still throw the hat in for the Ju 290A but this was the thought for an a/c being used over the water..............a host of other greats could be added here.

E ~

Erich said:
I still think the Mossie XXX for the Allies and the Ju 88G-6 for the Luftwaffe as the best night fighters. E ~

Agreed 100% I also really like the Ju-88 because of it versatility. It may not have been the fastest or most maneuverable aircraft but it was an all around great plane.

Great pics of grat models. I love detailed models like that.

:{)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back