WWII aircraft wing I found tonight!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Could be an SBD Dive Bomber I suppose... It is just so tough to get an idea of its size... Perhaps in daylight with a ruler or a tape-measure if measurements are taken then we might be able to match those measurements to an aircraft type... Or perhaps it is from a destroyed prototype... Who knows at the moment...

Some observations...

The part numbers are compatible to an aircraft. He's an example, but not necessary a rule of thumb...

"29W5872-7" The first part "29W" is usually related to a type aircraft, area or zone. The "5872" is the basic part number. The -7 is usually a a component making up the higher number assembly or it also indicates an update to the first part issue (-1, -2, -3 etc.) Odd numbers usually indicate the left side, even right.

On the second photo, that looks like a hinge - next to it is a small strip with some rivets in an irregular pattern. Those rivets aren't properly spaced and it looks like it was done by hand. The rest of the rivets are pretty precise indicating the component was assembled in a jig...

The rivets are definitely aircraft rivets, more than likely an "AN470AD." If you notice there is a sunk in dimple on the rivet indicating it is made from 2117-T4 aluminum.

I'm anxious to see what it looks like when you dig it up. On the interior see if there are any numbers like 24T or 2024-T3. The 24T is an aluminum designation used on WW2 aircraft so if this is marked you'll definitely know what era its from...

I'll go back tomorrow night and do some more looking and take some more photos with a measuring tape. I'll also try to gig this thing up.

Something funny; as I went back and looked at the pictures. I saw some more stamped writing on the wing. Picture 2, look to the lower right side; there is what appears to be - "29L 5300-2-54".

I don't know how I missed that being that I was right there.

I'll update tomorrow night!

Thanks

Ok, I went back and took another look at the thing. The bad news is; its just too darn big for me to dig up by myself. Its way to heavy, for its filled with sand and other things like small crabs.

As I stated yesterday, I don't know how I missed the numbers I mentioned. The picture tonight is of a closeup of the lettering. There is also some kind of tradmark stamp as well as some kind of design that is half covered by a rivet.

The good news is; the motion of the tides twice a day is really starting to bring it out of the sand. I'm thinking in about a week or two, this thing will be out enough for me to try and prop it up somehow.

Does any of this help?

Attachments

• 315682329_d1acc8a9e7_b.jpg
    315682329_d1acc8a9e7_b.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 357
This does help - This is factory or depo rework - the 2 stamps shown indicate a "MRB" (Material Review Board) action - The "C" seems to be a normal inspection stamp, the other character is actually an upside down "V" which means the item is a rework part. Interlocking the inspector's stamp with a "V" usually means the rework part was inspected and cleared by the inspector. This procedure has been universal in the aircraft industry for years. The small round stamp has the letters "HT" in the center meaning that part was heat treated.

The 5 bolts are steel and are obviously corroded (dissimilar metal corrosion).

BTW - that repair sucks, if I was an inspector I probably would of kicked the mechanic who did the repair!!!

The link is a page that shows the different part number sequences for many of the manufacturers - the sequence matches numbers from North American, but the C stamp doesn't seem to go UNLESS the aircraft was built at a subcontractor. Here's the link...

Aviation Archaeology - Part Number Prefix By Manufacturer

Remember - this information is always subject to exceptions - sometimes special repairs were accomplished and the normal way of marking parts were changed...

This is pretty neat to see developing. There is little to go on with regards to what aircraft it is. However, it seems we have eliminated some of what it isn't. It isn't Japanese or German or Allied (Flyboy J figured out the details of the stamp so it must be USA). As a Depot Aircraft, my guess is it was a common aircraft and not something special.

As more of the sand is washed away and we get more pics, we should have a better idea. The thickness and shape of the fully sand removed wing should help (keeping in mind the possible B24 mentioned earlier- laminar wing is a possibility).

My guess is a two seat aircraft, probably a trainer. Something like an SNJ or BT13. But I hold the Dauntless/Avenger as a possibility too.

As I said, the aircraft wing doesn't seem to have any paint on it which indicates it was pre-1941 or sometime in 1944 that it was made. It looks like bare aluminum to me. Perhaps, Dauntless/Avenger are possibilities given that we have no measurements...

As I said, the aircraft wing doesn't seem to have any paint on it which indicates it was pre-1941 or sometime in 1944 that it was made. It looks like bare aluminum to me. Perhaps, Dauntless/Avenger are possibilities given that we have no measurements...

Ahhh - NO...

During the war years most interior wings were primered with zinc chromate primer. Depending on the year and contract it was omitted but the interior surfaces were still alodined and the material type identified (IE 24T or 2024 T-3 or T-4)would of still been stamped on the interior. BTW Alodine comes off with a yellow tint for those of you who don't know this, look at the third photo. Pre 1941 aircraft would of had zinc chromate primer in the interior structure as this was a new technology about this time, circa 1943-44 the zinc chromate might of been omitted. Exterior paint was usually a cheap oil base and if not applied with a primer base would just flake off. There is no way to tell if that structure was aluminum to begin with or painted.

BTW - what ever it was - the photo of the round access cover shows several of the screw heads were starting to strip out which indicated that cover was removed frequently - round access covers like that are found on lower surfaces..

Ok, I hope this pic is viewable to all! I had a hard time getting it to show at it's regular size.

I went back and measured the wing. I made sure to dig out the sides when I did it to get as close as I could. I personaly believe the end of the wing is all there still. The side that attaches to the plane may have some large pieces missing though.

And thanks all for your advice and input in trying to get this thing solved!!!!

Attachments

• 316426760_6d6f31593f_o.jpg
    316426760_6d6f31593f_o.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 317
The only part that is hinged is where the blue and red meet. There is a space between the blue and yellow for movement. The red line is also hinged, meaning there is a space all along this for movement. Your black lines: they are not hinged.

If this turns out to be a 1936 vintage Lockheed 10E Electra, then Wrath,
you will be able to retire early...

:evil: Only if I was able to somehow smuggle it off the island!:evil:

Perhaps a local national friend on his boat!:lol:

Forgot something! The two upper white lines are separate from the two bottom ones...two pieces.

Soooo, this is looking like part of a tail plane then. What aircraft had
metal skinned rudder/elevator? I can't see this being a wing with that
hinge where it is...Unless what I am seeing as a leading edge, isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back