WWII-era pilot Elizabeth Strohfus dies at 96

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vince P

Airman
Mar 4, 2016
Cambridge
www.boeingb17.com
Text from MN WWII-era pilot Elizabeth Strohfus dies at 96 (also video report from news channel)

FAIRBAULT, Minn. (AP) - A Minnesota woman who piloted military planes during World War II and received two Congressional Gold Medals has died.

Elizabeth Strohfus of Faribault was 96. Her son, Art Roberts, says Strohfus died Sunday night at her assisted living center after being placed in hospice care after a fall.

Strohfus was one of the last remaining members of Women Airforce Service Pilots, or WASP. She ferried military planes in 1943 and 1944, and helped train air and infantry gunners at Las Vegas Army Airfield.

After graduating from high school, Strohfus borrowed $100 to join the previously all-male Sky Club. She was a member of the Civil Air Patrol before joining WASP.

After WASP was disbanded in December 1944, Strohfus worked as an aircraft controller in Wyoming before returning to Faribault.

In January, KARE 11's Jay Olstad spoke to Strohfus about her effort to allow WASPs to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

"I think they should be buried where they damn please. They're veterans. I'm sorry, that upsets me terribly," she said.

The cemetery says it's simply an issue of space availability. Fewer than 100 WASPs are alive.

Senator Amy Klobuchar helped Strohfus in her effort. In a statement, Klobuchar said "While she herself wanted to be buried with her family, she stood up for her fellow WASP sisters and fought for them to have the same rights as other veterans and to be given the option to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery with the honors they deserve. My condolences are with her friends and family today."

Strohfus' funeral arrangements are pending.

1a (2).png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back