WWII MISTERIES: What happened with the JU390?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

interesting....

1946:

I can imagine a squadron of those being intercepted over the Atlantic by F8F Bearcats and Tiger cats...

A beautiful site...

Was there any connection between the Ju 390 and the Bloch 161? They look awful similar.

How do they look similiar?

They dont look anything alike!

Here is a Ju 390:

Attachments

• 390.gif
    63.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 390-2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 390-3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 390-4.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 155

Excellent analysis Rich - and to add to the equation, load another 10,000 pounds as a payload - and take 10,000 pounds of fuel off the table for the 'nuke' part of the story.

Now that you've read Richard Leonard's figures... here's the true figures:

The Ju-390 used six BMW 801E engines which were identical to the BMW 801D except the E version was geared for better performance at altitude. The 801E was geared for lower engine revolutions.

In all other regards one can consider fuel consumption the same or slightly superior fuel consumption for the 801E. The E version had about a 100hp superiority at altitude.

The BMW 801E also had a boost function for take off, by injection of a water methanol mixture into the left supercharger inlet. This could only be used for 10-15 minutes. Only at these boost settings does the fuel consumption rise to 221 US Gals PH.

The B-29 which had 80% higher wing loading and less power, took 25 minutes to reach 20,000ft.

So run six engines at boost for 15 minutes is 331.5 US gallons (1989lb)

Normal max operating consumption is 90-103 US Gal per hour per engine so let's keep climbing for another 10 minutes at 90 US Gal/engine...(54lb)

Okay so to reach 20,000ft the Ju-390 needed 25 minutes roughly and about 2043lb of fuel.

In cruise the BMW801D in long range cruise setting used 45-55 US Gals per hour at around 1600-1700 RPM per engine. I suspect with the 801E engine it used only 45 US Gal, but hey let's be pessimistic and call it 55 US Gal/hr per engine time 31 hours flying is 61,380lb plus 2,043 lb to reach 20,000ft for a grand total of 63,423lb. The Ju-390 is known to have capacity for 65,000lb fuel.

It had a maximum take off weight of 166,100lb and an empty weight of 86,900lb. Subtract empty weight and maximum fuel weight together (151,900lb) from 166,100lb still leaves the aircraft with a whopping payload capability of 14,200lb over 6,000 nautical miles.

If it was impossible then maybe Richard Leonard needs to come back here and share with us why not. It follows that if the Ju-390 with 10,380 horsepower could not do the mission then neither could the B-29 with 8,800 hp but then we all know the B-29 not only could, but did.

In fact it is already known that Richard Leonard's figures are bogus because Ju-390 test pilot Hans Pancherz has already published the Ju-390 range payload figures. Pancherz also flew to South Africa in his Ju-390.

Because the B-29 could carry a 20,000 pound load farther than a Ju 390 could in Recce config (according to above link), was 40 mph faster and could climb to nearly 2x the ceiling of the Ju 390, I suspect it is safe to say two things.

1. The Ju 390 had a lot more drag than a B-29. Very unlikely that its loaded cruise speed was anywhere close to the B-29.
2. Its range with 20,000 pounds was far less than a B-29
3. Its endurance with 20,000 pounds was far less than 30 hours.

I might be driven to conclude that the Ju 390V2 could range out 3,000 miles and back if you could show that it could cruise at 200mph with fuel consumption of 50 gallons per hour at that speed... with no payload, just crew and fuel.

I'm don't know if it had an internal bomb bay. If not, then whatever you hang on the wings will take 10-20 mph off the optimal cruise.

Regards,

Bill

The bomber version of the Ju-390 had a bomb bay.

The range of the Ju-390 was 400 miles longer than the B-29's, and the Ju-390 could carry a larger payload as-well. The B-29 was faster and had a higher ceiling though.

The Germans did produce both an equal and superior bomber compared to the B-29 though. The Me-264 was the equal, being nealry as fast with less power, and a much longer range and slighty higher payload. Superior to both however was the He-277, with a very high ceiling, cruise speed, payload good range, plus a respectable 570 km/h top speed this was the most advanced bomber of WW2.

He-277

This a/c could be loaded to over twice its empty weight!

R Leonards makes perfect sense to me , you'd have to strip that Junkers down to the walls , remove all radios ,oxygen systems and safety equipment to cut down on the weight even find crew that were skinny . Just doing a simple D=RxT a 27hr trip at 210 mph for 6000mile+/- at his fuel rates not including the headwinds you'll get at some point

Pb - at one time I looked for specs on the Ju 390 that were not speculation, and to this day I haven't found any load/speed/range data for either the A1 or A2. Too many people confuse Max Range, Max Payload, Max Ceiling data as one and the same test flight conditions.

Absent that data anything I say is pure speculation on my part.

I seriously doubt that either the Ju 390A1 or A2 could cruise an average of 180mph with just the fuel load of 10,000 gallons. If it could then it would have slightly more ferry range than the B-29 if you stripped the reserve from the published figure for the 29.

Speculatively I also doubt that either could range 3300 miles with a 20,000 pound bomb load, even if either one had internal bomb bays.. and so far I have only seen reference to wing racks for the 3900 pound bomb load/guided missle capability

I was interested because of Bodo's short runway to discover the Ju-390's performance. Bodo was home to Ju-87 Stukas which were fighting a Russian invasion of northen Norway.

The airfield was built much like US airfields were in the Pacific from matting, but in this case planking over quite boggy flat ground.

To cut a long story short I was amazed to find that the Ju-390 for all it's size and weight had a ground footprint similar to a DHC-4 Caribou, a 19 seater Dornier Do-228, or less than the ground footprint of a DC-3 which could use Bodo. The Ju-390 had an ACN range of 3.5-3.7.

The B-29 in standard air at 120,000lb can take off over a 50 foot obstacle in 5,100 feet. The Convair B-36 at MTOW can take off in 1,500 metres (no screen obstacles).

The Ju-390 has superior power to weight ratio and less wing loading than either the B-29 or B-36.

In fact the Ju-390 has just 55% of the B-29's wing loading and just 73.4% that of the B-36. The Ju-390 has 85% better power to weight ratio than the B-29 and 14% better than the Convair B-36.

The B-29 had a total of 8,800hp, the B-36 had 21,000hp and the Ju-390 had 10,380hp.

One could fairly confidently predict therefore that the Ju-390 could lift off in less distance than the B-36 (1,500m) and nearer to the 1000 metres which a DC-3 is capable of. It's not entirely scientific, but I would not be surprised if a fully laden Ju-390 in standard conditions could take off in 1200-1300 metres.

Operational notes for the Ju-390 including payload range charts, from one of it's test pilots, Han Pancherz have been published in a couple of books including the autobigraphy of Pancherz who lives in Barcelona. From time to time Pancherz gives interviews about the Ju-390 to Spanish newspapers.

If you're not prepared to accept the data from the aircraft's test pilot then you're unlikely to accept any amount of evidence.

Incidentally since you ask drgndog the Ju-390 had a service ceiling of 20,000 feet.

Where is the reference? however if so that means 9579 gallon to start a journey at altitude perhaps 70 miles along the way.

A any pilots will know the take off and climb are always the most thirsty part of a flight whether it's a WW2 Ju-390 or Boeing 737. Most aircraft burn a lot of fuel climbing to cruise altitude and then generally fuel flow reduces to around 30% but that is variable according to the type of aircraft and it's specific engines.

References ?
Because I don't speak German I have not read his autobiography, but there is a book called FlugPancherz. Pancherz's figures and charts are also published in "Target America, Hitler's plan to attack the United States" by James P Duffy, Pub 2004 by Greenwood Press ISBN 0275966844

There are numerous other references so I only refer you to those from the test pilots own notes.

Yes I fumbled some figures from the climb. As I recall when I calculated it I rounded some of the numbers because you can't be precise about the climb f you don't know the exact time to climb. In general my figures are more real than Leonards which I suspect are based on Kossler and Ott's figures.

55 US gals per hour is per engine incidentally in case that was not clear.

As a pilot drgndog I do understand the difference between long range cruise and economical cruise. I also understand the difference between ferry range and max payload range thank you.

Seek and ye shall find. The fuel consumption figures for BMW801 engines are well known and widely published for all to see.

Well sad to say Richard leonard got the calculations grossly wrong because he assumed 150 US gals per engine for the cruise and then multiplied that by 6 engines.

The truth is that the true figure is 45-55 US Gals per hour x 6 engines.

You have to start with the right consumption assumption. Sorry couldn't resist that.

I used your numbers and did some quick math with the available weight , weight of gas and 55 gph per engine overall rounded off to take account of climb etc. Its all rough numbers but so would the flight planning be without proper consideration for winds aloft and other factors that would affect things the 390 wouldn't have knowledge of , considering it would be tough to climb over weather with the low service ceiling

Hi Pb,

All I did was calculate take off and climb to 20,000ft and then the fuel needed for 31 hours of flight.

The endurance would easily permit a return Atlantic mission. Jetstreams would not figure much at 20,000 feet. I have to pop out for an appointment, but will be back later to discuss it.

There is a rumour which I am unable to substantiate that the flight may have been from Norway to Michigan then past new York on it's return to Mont de Marsan, but I can't contact the source for this.

Back to your point about the Ju 390 ceiling at 20,000 feet.

As a pilot isn't it curious to you that an aircraft with greater horsepower and lighter wing loading than a B-29, as presented above....

but can barely climb to 60% of the ceiling of the higher flying, faster B-29 which has less power and a higher wing loading (according to the 'published data)?

As a pilot, wouldn't you want to know more about the flight test data gathered before an alleged flight to New York, so that you had a lot of cofidence in matching a landing on land with a take off on land?

Wouldn't you want to know the specific altitude and rpm and boost and fuel flow to optimize your range - and what that cruise speed was? And wouldn't you be more confident in your beliefs if you had that data?

I look at the widely varying data available on the Ju 390 and keep asking myself fundamental questions.

Why would an aircraft like this, with 6 x 2000 hp and a wing loading less than a B-29 attain such poor performance unless the aircraft was seriously dirty, aerodynamically speaking. Particularly when you have made the point that this engine was one of the very best the LW had in Hp/wt ratio and performed well up to 40,000 feet. So it couldn't be that the engines would not perform.

So either the specs as given are wrong, or the aircraft was an enormous hog and NEEDED that much hp just to get it to 20,000 feet.

As a pilot, what conclusions do you draw?

Hi Pb,
The endurance would easily permit a return Atlantic mission. Jetstreams would not figure much at 20,000 feet. I have to pop out for an appointment, but will be back later to discuss it.
That is an extrodinary time aloft if my recollection is correct I believe the record for that amount time aloft without refuelling goes to the CP 07 Argus at 31 hours using the same powerplants as the B29 but much uprated to 3700 hp and thats a record only surpassed by Bert Rutans Voyager

The ceiling of the Ju-390 was low because of the very poor high alt performance of its BMW-801 engines. At SL it climbed allot faster than the B-29.

Hence the short take off landing roll of the Ju-390 Kiwikid.

At any rate the He-277 was a much better bomber, with a payload capacity larger than that of the British Lancaster, an amazingly high service ceiling, cruise speed and a good defensive armament top speed, it was technically the best bomber of WW2.

Users who are viewing this thread