This is pretty tiresome hairsplitting Drgndog. You yourself refer to the Mustang having hi fuel flow on take off and dropping to quite low fuel flow in cruise.
Yes I did. I gave them to you in the conditions and altitudes and rpms and boost for a very efficent in line engine which has 15-20% less hp than the 801E. You have given me zero in return for a very large and powerful radial engine
You said the following to start this discussion
Now that you've read Richard Leonard's figures... here's the true figures:
The Ju-390 used six BMW 801E engines which were identical to the BMW 801D except the E version was geared for better performance at altitude. The 801E was geared for lower engine revolutions.
Nice statement, rich in promise..
In all other regards one can consider fuel consumption the same or slightly superior fuel consumption for the 801E. The E version had about a 100hp superiority at altitude.
But where is the 'beef' - Nice assumption, no facts
The BMW 801E also had a boost function for take off, by injection of a water methanol mixture into the left supercharger inlet. This could only be used for 10-15 minutes. Only at these boost settings does the fuel consumption rise to 221 US Gals PH.
So, at what altitudes do the BMW 801E operate most efficiently? and at what boost settings, rpm and fuel flow - for the Ju 390 V2 - to either obtain maximum range or maximum endurance. As a pilot you will know those are usually two different settings, (and altitudes and cruise speeds)
A single source ?
Hans Joachim Pancherz and his wartime notes which are published only happen to be the single most authoritative source in the world on the Ju-390 and you say the aircraft's test pilot is not a good enough source.
You just seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing.
I'm arguing because you haven't produced the above detail that would make it possible to verify either endurance or range. Apparently neither has the test pilot? This story has been around a long time w/o corroboration.
Drawing a long bow based on nothing more than your conjecture.
Skepticism based on many claims, vague assumptions and few facts,
More conjecture by you. Who said the BMW801 failed to deliver it's rated hp at 20,000ft ?
Actually - Soren did, then you.
This illustrates the above skepticism.
Actually I find it extremely hard to believe that a 801E 'dies' at 20,000 ft. Soren just stated that the E had 'well known' altitude problems but I hadn't heard that. Hell, that engine was designed to go into Fw 190s as well as other applications - so No I don't believe this
But when performance data of a 'marvelous' aircraft with nearly 50% more horsepower than a B-29, has a wing loading 10% less than a B-29, (according to all the sketchy references available so far) BUT ONLY HAS A SERVICE CEILING of 20,000 feet - well below a B-29 - doesn't that give YOU pause that something is fishy??
You're trying to build a thesis that the Ju-390 could not reach USA because you personally don't accept an aircraft with limited engine performance could fly that far.
Well, No. I'm building a thesis that either the aircraft was very dirty aerodynamically if it couldn't go past 20,000 feet with six very powerful engines, or
The published ceiling data is wrong (and what else is wrong), or
The published engine for the aircraft is wrong, or
The engines actually failed altogether with second stage boost and ceiling WAS severely limited - I'll check your references for the latter... but if true the V1 with BMW801D should speculatively cruise farther than a V2
May I remind you of the giant Dornier Do X which flew the Atlantic pre war never climbed much above 1500ft ?
Ah, no. The Panama Clippers did not fly very high of very fast either
the flying boats
I wouldn't dare say it myself. Just to prove to you drgndog that this is not just what I say let me refer you to what others say about the BMW801 characteristics.
The BMW801 was well known for limitations at altitude because of it's engine driven superchargers. This was addressed late in the war with the BMW801G and that model's hydraulically driven 4 stage supercharger, but that engine was not fitted to the Ju-390 in early 1944.
BMW 801: Information and Much More from Answers.com
The BMW 801 Radial Engine
I don't know some of the facts you demand answers to. The warbirds resource group is the only reference point which i can point to from off my head that refers to a cruise speed as opposed to maximum speed for the Ju-390 and that was 267 knots which i find a bit excessive.
Actually, the other resources show the Max speed with external weapons as 267 mph. That is a far cry from optimal cruise speed either for range or for endurance.
The DC-4/Carvair cruised about 220 knots. I recall reading somewhere that the Ju-390 cruised at 240 knots but can't give you the source.
IF true, that would represent a range close to 7500 miles. Is that your thesis? A very clean, no bomb load B-29 was capable of 5400 miles ferry - similar to a Recce -
I expect the Ju-290's cruise was similar to a Ju-290's so that may be a starting point for investigation.
The Ju 290 with four engines should be cleaner. Having said that with the four BMW801G, it seemed to also have a 6000m ceiling
I'm not trying to close down debate Drgndog. If Rich's claim were subjected to the same scrutiny it would be obvious that he overestimated the fuel consumption.
I have no problem with this statement. On the other hand we have yet to establish any solid data for the Ju 390.
Take some equivalent aircraft like the DC-4 and look at their fuel consumptions because you'll find the same applies.