WWII Museum (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
At one time (1995-1997) Mr Bob Pond had a "Planes Of Fame" Museum at the Flying Cloud Airport, Eden Prairie, Mn. He had assembled an impressive number of WWII Aircraft of which one was a B-17 G. It was named "Miss Angela" after his daughter. It came off the assembly line late and saw no combat action. The museum attracted crowds on weekends. A number of members from the Minnesota Chapter, 8th Air Force Historical Society, volunteered to crew the static display. Responding to questions was an enjoyable experience.
20180801_064924.jpg
20180801_064847.jpg

Last edited:
The Bob Pond collection was called "Planes of Fame East" when it was in Minnesota, as he was good friends with the Planes of Fame Museum founder, Ed Maloney. The Pond collection was relocated to the museum he built in Palm Springs, CA when he retired to that city. The Palm Springs Air Museum was established in 1996, but it probably took a year to get it ready to receive the collection. For those who don't know, Palm Springs is a retirement community and resort / retreat area of Los Angeles / Hollywood, a little less than a two-hour drive east of LA and about 30 minutes quicker from Planes of Fame. The museums continue to be closely affiliated today and often send aircraft to each other's events. You can see both in the same day in a pinch, but I would recommend the at least the better part of a day for each.

Aircraft Galley | Palm Springs Air Museum

Miss Angela is still around and is in beautiful condition. The last time I saw her they had a table and display selling the book A Higher Call. She even has her own air conditioned hangar! In fact, a large portion of the collection is in air conditioned hangars (a nice feature in the Palm Desert) - it really is a beautiful museum and the WW2 collection is organized into European and Pacific theaters. I highly recommend it to anyone who is visiting Southern California.

The Bob Pond collection was called "Planes of Fame East" when it was in Minnesota, as he was good friends with the Planes of Fame Museum founder, Ed Maloney. The Pond collection was relocated to the museum he built in Palm Springs, CA when he retired to that city. The Palm Springs Air Museum was established in 1996, but it probably took a year to get it ready to receive the collection. For those who don't know, Palm Springs is a retirement community and resort / retreat area of Los Angeles / Hollywood, a little less than a two-hour drive east of LA and about 30 minutes quicker from Planes of Fame. The museums continue to be closely affiliated today and often send aircraft to each other's events. You can see both in the same day in a pinch, but I would recommend the at least the better part of a day for each.

Miss Angela is still around and is in beautiful condition. The last time I saw her they had a table and display selling the book A Higher Call. She even has her own air conditioned hangar! In fact, a large portion of the collection is in air conditioned hangars (a nice feature in the Palm Desert) - it really is a beautiful museum and the WW2 collection is organized into European and Pacific theaters. I highly recommend it to anyone who is visiting Southern California.

Thanks for the update on Miss Angela. Glad she continues on display. When here people could walk through the aircraft and staff was at each location to answer questions. The nose was blocked off but they could see everything on entering through the nose hatch. I answered questions on the ground as they entered. Had the pleasure of making one flight on the aircraft coming back from an air show.

Last edited:

I went to that museum several times when I used to go to Palm Springs. The collection is excellent. The first time there they had a Kingfisher on display but I think it has since been returned to it's original museum.

I went to that museum several times when I used to go to Palm Springs. The collection is excellent. The first time there they had a Kingfisher on display but I think it has since been returned to it's original museum.

Their Pacific theater collection stands out in particular. A permanent Kingfisher, Buffalo, Devastator, and Helldiver is about all they need to have a "complete" collection of WW2 USN aircraft. Not that many missing when you think about it, especially considering that the Devastator is a "Holy Grail" of warbirds. As you know, it's really something to stand in one hangar and see naval fighter progression from the Wildcat through the Bearcat and Tigercat, along with a Dauntless and Avenger to represent the dive bombers and torpedo bombers respectively.

If any of you guys ever come through central Florida, try to see Kermit Weeks' "Fantasy Of Flight" museum, between Tampa and Orlando (Kermit calls it "Orlampa") on Interstate 4. Unfortunately, the only Fort they have is a static display, on permanent loan from "World's Greatest Aircraft Collection."

B-17-1.jpg

Kermit does have some medium bombers flying, though. And he has lots of other planes, both military and civilian.

Unfortunately, FoF is only open part time. However, Kermit has plans in the works for an expanded attraction including different areas for different eras of flight...even a seaplane base. Keep watch on his website!

-Irish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back