X-acto vs Scalpel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wrap my blades with cheap masking tape to dispose of. Just one wrap will protect most handling.

I do have an exacto handle and have a blade in it and use it for all the gorilla use that I don't want to use my scalpel blades on.

I have two red handled scalpel holders and have drilled a hole in the butt end of one and inserted a round of styrene, I use it as an indicator for the newest blade holder.

I have an old tin can with a replaceable polythene lid, the type peanuts or something came in. The lid has a narrow slot cut in it, and is taped to the can. Used blades are snapped in two and dropped in the can. It's been 'on the go' for quite a few years now, and is nowhere near full, but when it is, the slot will be taped over, and the can disposed of. It's already marked 'Used Sharps'.

I think that is probably the best tip. hate to injure some1 else due to me throwing away a "dull" blade.

old can with slot, am gonna steal that idea

It is recommended to use a small pair of pliers to change scalpel blades (in hospitals a pair of forceps would be used)

Yep, I always use a pair of pliers when changing blades in the Swann Morton scalpel handles.
The 'old' blade is gripped by the pliers, and then deliberately snapped, dropping the point into the tin, then the remains of the blade are removed, again using the pliers, and go into the tin.
The new blade is retained in it's wrapper, held by the pliers, and slotted part way on to the handle, to engage in the groove.
The tip of the blade is then placed against the cutting map, and push down on the handle until the blade is fully home and set.

I recently acquired my first Scalpel handle and some 25A and 11 blades. I have been changing them with my fingers you just have to be careful. But I love the suggestion of snapping the blades and the disposal tips listed here.

Also I noticed someone had offered surgical services after acquiring theirs. I would like to make a similar offer now that I have my Dremel I am offering cut rate dental services. So far no takers but you never know.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would report that my Swann Morton No 3 handle is about to be retired the slots where the blade clips in have worn and the blades are getting a bit loose.

Can't complain though my Dad gave it to me about 40 years ago and it wasn't new then. I hate to think how many blades have been clipped into the handle over the years it's got to be in the thousands.

You can't beat Sheffield Steel.

You can't beat Sheffield Steel.

I have two scalpel handles as I keep a No.10 and No.11 on the go at all times. I change blades frequently, they are not expensive and nothing will b*gger up a project as quickly as a dull blade!
I must have used hundreds of blades over the last thirty years and both handles are still going strong. I suppose one day they will go the way of your dad's, but I probably won't be here to see it :)

The new at top and the old at bottom. Comparing the two it's made me realise how well worn the old handle is. It's all smooth rounded and comfortable in the hand. The new one is angular and feels wrong it's heavy the balance is wrong.

I would never have thought Stainless Steel could wear in the hand but I suppose 40 plus years of sweaty handed use would wear down anything.
15866014843186029039391461934536.jpg

Just done a bit of googling and it seems my old no 3 handle isn't stainless as I thought but Brass. That probably explains why it's worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back