X-acto vs Scalpel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As Wurger states there is no question of ultimate better here. Like hammer and screw-driver, depends on the job at hand. For fine plastic work I use files or the Dremel so my tendancy is to use the cutting tool on spru left-overs or flash. The xacto is also used on decal sheets for small decals close together so I chop more than cut. Now WAY back when I used to build balsa the xacto was used to cut out parts and shave-to-fit operations
Strangely enough the original xacto (about 1930) was intended as a scalpel but was rejected because of the difficulty cleaning it. Before our digital age the xacto saw heavy use in preparing camera-ready proofs for printing. The origin of our phrase "cut and paste"

Not in the European graphic arts market Mike, or, at least in part, the US graphics market. All cut and paste I have ever done (umpteen years as a technical rep with the 'Big Yellow Box'), and seen done, used a Swann Morton scalpel. Every graphics materials supplier in the UK, and certainly northern Europe, stocked and sold thousands of them.
However, I have seen the X-Acto used for cutting-down printing plates, more so in Flexography than Litho.

Years ago, I was using the large half-round X-acto blade to trim down some plastic stock that I had recently glued. I was technically cutting away from myself, but the components broke at the glued joint allowing the blade to slice along my left middle finger's joint by the fingernail.

Long story short, that rascal laid me open in grand style and earned me some stitches and a tetanus shot, since the blade cruised along the bone for a short way.

So while a scalpel is wicked sharp, an X-Acto blade will still part the flesh like a champ :lol:

Terry, very interesting. Perhaps because the xacto was "invented" in the US? I would guess that it took Doniger a while to cross the atlantic. We used xactos on our high school newspaper and to correct mis-typed mimeograph stencils (1958-1961)

They'd been around in the UK for many years Mike. I first noticed them in adverts in modelling magazines in the early 1960s, and they'd been advertised long before that, although the emphasis seemed to be directed more towards balsa aircraft and wooden ship models.
It may be that a school issued them for safety reasons - certainly scalpels were closely monitored in UK schools.
I actually do have an X-Acto, and a couple of cheaper 'clones', with the 'fat' handles, and the tubular scalpel type also, and they have their uses. But for precision work, especially where a very delicate touch is needed, I always use a scalpel with the 'flat', solid stainless steel handle.

We had scalpels in Biology/anatomy classes but they were solid metal and the blades had to be hand-sharpened and stropped a real PIA. Probably the Army when I saw my first disposables and replacable blade types

I'm not sure of your question as Xacto blades are all disposable no matter how you buy them and how quickly they dull depends on what you are cutting AND what you are cutting it on. Any cutting I do is on a soft mat so that the blade isn't being scraped against something hard and the tip genterally dulls first hence the Xacto blades with break-offable tips. As I recall disposable scalpels the blades were standard blades on plastic handles. The plastic had been melted at the blade to secure the blade in place. So the blade, per se, was not cheaper softer steel. I buy bulk Xacto blades in a Pez-like dispenser which gives me a place to discard old blades.

I've seen some bulk blades listed as single use and I totally agree with you about safe disposal of said blades. Don't need our sanitation engineers(was one myself eons ago)having to wotty about what was on the blade.

Geo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back