X-Planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another interesting design was the Lippisch Dm-1 which never made a first flight but was interesting none of the less. It kind of looks like some Sci-Fi Ferangi Start Trek ship. Here is a picture of it. I wonder how it would have flown at all.

Attachments

• dm1.jpg
    dm1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,064
And I dont know why I forgot this one but it is another just truely beautiful plane. The Gotha Ho-229.
Origin: Gothaer Waggonfabrik AG. to Horten design (see note below)
Type: Single seat fighter/bomber

Engines:
Two Junkers Jumo 004B turbojets
Thrust: 1,980lb (900kg)

Dimensions:
Span 16.75m
Length 7.47m
Height 2.80m

Weights:
Empty: 10,140lbs (4600kg)
Max. loaded: 19,840lb (9000kg)

Speed:
607mph (977km/h)
Ceiling:
52,500ft (16,000m)

Range:
1,970 miles (3170km) at 393mph (635km/h) with two drop tanks

Armaments: Planned
Four Mk 103 or Mk 108 cannon
Plus
Two 1,000kg bombs

Comments:
First flown in January 1945, the Ho 229 was the innovative design of Walter and Reimar Horten, both former Luftwaffe officers. The test programme showed the 229 to have outstanding speed and handling characteristics but developement was halted when US troops overran the research facility. Some dispute has arisen over whether the 229 should be classified as the Go 229 or Ho 229. Since Gothar was supposed to build 229 and didn't really design it, I'm arbitrarily going with the Ho 229 designation in honor of the designers.

Attachments

• ho229-2.jpg
    ho229-2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,064
  • ho229-1.jpg
    ho229-1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,065
  • ho229-6.jpg
    ho229-6.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,068
If the German had got that thing flying we would have been screwed...

*Prediction of the lancs next post*

"Yeah but they wouldn't have had the fuel to use it....................."

Or something along those lines ;)

Heres just some more pics of it at what I believe is the Imperial War Museum but I am not sure exactly where.

Attachments

• ho229-7.jpg
    ho229-7.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,061
  • ho229-8.jpg
    ho229-8.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,057
Now thet is realy butyfull, Why dont they rebuild it ????

But if you look at many of the blue prints of "secret future planes"(of WW2) you realize most of them are not practicle.

It would be bad to rebuild it in my eyes. If that is the only survivor it should be kept as it is. If there is another one however, then it should be rebuilt :D

Actually, it's in the Smithsonian, in storage...

I believe they started restoration a while ago - not sure...

In the 1980s, Northrop actually visited them to study the aircraft for use on the B-2...

That is interesting. Next time I visit the Smithsonian I will have to check it out. If anyone ever visits Germany, they must got to Muenchen und check out the Deutsches Museum. They have quite an impressive WW2 aircraft display including V-1 and V-2 Rockets and other X-planes. Another good one in Germany is the Sinsheim Museum with many great aircraft to see and some of them you can actually climb into.

cheddar cheese said:
It would be bad to rebuild it in my eyes. If that is the only survivor it should be kept as it is. If there is another one however, then it should be rebuilt :D
A flying 1 is better then a rusting 1.

But theres more sense of history when its in its decrepid state. And anyway, The Go-229 never made it to full scale production, no-one reslly knows if its going to fly alright.

It does.

It flew many times, and crashed occasionally, but otherwise, it was one of the most docile aircraft around, as it had a VERY low stall speed...

GermansRGeniuses said:
It does.

It flew many times, and crashed occasionally, but otherwise, it was one of the most docile aircraft around, as it had a VERY low stall speed...

Wow, I thought like one or two were made and then it was scrapped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back