XB-39 Conversion sets in 1/72 scale - anybody know of any such thing?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrumpyOldCrewChief

Airman 1st Class
Nov 9, 2018
Suburban Detroit, MI. USA
There are several decent, recent kits available for the B-29 in 1/72 scale, but I cannot find even a reference to an old conversion, such as might have gone to the old and rathersorry Airfix offering of decades past. Anybody know of such a thing, or am I on my own for the sole W-3420 powered beast? With so many "Luft '46", and other "paper" aircraft that have been kitted, this seems passing odd...
XB-39_41-36954_(5412707154) Boeing-GM_.jpg
XB-39_Superfortress02.jpg

Yeah, it would really be slick to have the XB-38 and the XB-39 models sitting next to one another! There are so many what-if and other X-planes out there, why not these? And yes, I know the XB-38 crashed relatively early in its career...

Well, I have thought about taking a Monogram 1/48 B-17G and using the engine nacelles from a 1/48 P-38 to build an XB-38, because while you are at it, why not build it in the XB-40 configuration?

Similarly, a XP-72 would be nice, combining a P-47 kit with an F7F cowl, but if it had been gone into production it probably would have been built based on the P-47N.

Too bad Monogram never produced a 1/32 B-36; I understand the reason they did not was that the FAA would have required each one be issued an N number.

Last edited:
Topping of Akron, Ohio made a one-off 1/32 scale wooden model of the XB-39 for the Allison Powerama collection in 1953. After a landing accident, this model is currently under restoration by the volunteers at the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust Allison Branch in Indianapolis, IN.

Hey MIFlyer, the F7F was powered by the same R-2800 as the P-47, so the cowlings won't help. The XP-72 was powered by that monster R-4320, corn-cob, 28 cylinder beast. There is a resin kit of the XP-72, though it is long OOP. I have one, so I know...

The cowling on the F7F is long, circular, and tapered - like the P-72, while the front of the P-47 is Oval. I've measured things out, and by cutting off the P-47nose at the right spot, forming the lower lip into that airscoop, and then putting the F7F cowl on the front I am pretty sure you could make an XP-72. The diameter of the R-2800 and the 4360 were the same. Unfortunately the P-61 cowl does not look like it will work, which is too bad because I have a spare cowl for one of those.
B-32Model-1.jpg
F-108Model-1.jpg
XB-39-1.jpg

Last edited:
Lincoln was a city near the Boeing plant, where the testing occurred. Patriotic appeal and all...
Grumpy, regarding the lack of conversion sets for so many aircraft THAT ACTUALLY FLEW, I totally agree. Paper studies are fun, but they're just fantasies.
The XB-39 is actually next on my list of resin conversions to make. I just need to get hold of an Academy B-29 - they are surprisingly pricey on-line!
I had an Airfix B-29 but I gave it away at our local IPMS kit exchange - it just needed too much rehabilitation.
I've been working on a resin Fisher P-75 based on the Rareplanes vacuform, which is actually pretty good (infinitely better than the Valom plastic kit), so I got interested in the Allison V3420. The P-75 is kind of tricky because there were so many variations on it - at least a half dozen. So that has moved to the back burner (have to build ALL of them, of course).
So maybe this year I will have an XB-39 resin nacelle set available! I'm thinking three resin slugs and one vacuform nacelle that can show off a V3420. There's a nice V1710 resin engine available, so you would just need two of those.
Regarding the discussion on the Republic XP-72, I already sell a 1/72 resin conversion for that on ebay. I think it's a lot more accurate than some of the conversions that I have seen. It includes both the 4-blade prop spinner and the contra-prop spinner. That was really a fascinating aircraft! There's an excellent book on the R-4360 corncob engine (by Graham White), for all you gearheads (it's not cheap, but it's a great resource). The Revell-Germany P-47D/M is an excellent bubble-top kit, BTW. The Johan kit has finally been bested...

Well, I have thought about taking a Monogram 1/48 B-17G and using the engine nacelles from a 1/48 P-38 to build an XB-38, because while you are at it, why not build it in the XB-40 configuration?

Similarly, a XP-72 would be nice, combining a P-47 kit with an F7F cowl, but if it had been gone into production it probably would have been built based on the P-47N.

Too bad Monogram never produced a 1/32 B-36; I understand the reason they did not was that the FAA would have required each one be issued an N number.

Okay Build Thread Here
XB40Final06.jpg

Ed

Sharkit of France - I believe it was a one-man operation - long ago offered a complete resin kit of the P-47J. I was lucky enough to snag one of apparently the last available. The creator sent a lovely note along with the kit, with some remarks on the delay in shipping being caused by health issues he was experiencing at the time. He had quite a catalogue of odd-ball things. too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back