YAK-3,5,OR 9 SCALE

Discussion in 'Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots' started by WAYNE WORTHY, May 31, 2007.

1. WAYNE WORTHY

WAYNE WORTHY New Member

:rolleyes: IF ANY BODY COULD HELP ME FIND PLANS FOR A YAK FIGHTER PLANE I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. I WOULD LIKE TO BUILD A R C MODEL OF THIS PLANE. THANKS WAYNE WORTHY.

2. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    So, what kind of plans do you need? For a model or for an aircraft.And Yak 5 - you have meant the Yak 7,haven't you.

3. WAYNE WORTHY

WAYNE WORTHY New Member

:oops: LET ME EXPLAIN. I WOULD LIKE TO BUILD A SCALE R\C MODEL OF A RUSSIAN FIGHTER CALLED THE YAK. I UNDERSTAND THER WERE 3 OR 4 DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF IT. ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED.THANKS, WAYNE.

4. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master

Hallo Wayne W !!!
    Shortly,the Yakovlev's WW2 Yak fighter series was started by I-26 ( later called Yak-1) prototype.This aircraft was built as the answer to the Kreml's requests for the new fighter according to the Russian experience gathered in Spain War. I-26 would have been a "mixture" of Supermarine Spitfire and Messerschmitt Bf-109 ,the best fighters in western Europe.Equipped with M-105 engine was flown the first time in 1939.In December 1940 the names of the Russian planes were changed.From that time all names of aircrafts started with the first letters of the constructors' surnames.So the I-26 became YAK-1 ( Yakovlev-1).During the WW2 which started for Russian on 22'nd June of 1941, the Yakovlev's Design Bureau (OKB no. 115) developped the serie that at the end of WW2 consisted of Yak-1,Yak-1M,Yak-7,Yak-7A,Yak-7B,Yak-7W,Yak-7UTI,Yak-7D,Yak-3 and Yak-9 serie.All the planes were very similar to each other.The difference were in engines, armament, dimensions.Yakovlev used for their construction non deficit materials ( wood etc...).The exception was Yak-3 which was of metal. That's all mate.

5. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne. No need for the blushing smiley face. The Yak-5 existed. Some books describe Yakovlev's I-28 high altitude intercepter of 1940 as the Yak-5. Green and Swanborough's 'The Complete Book of Fighters' being one. The Yak-5 designation was reserved for the I-28 for a possible series version. In the end the Yak-5 designation went to a mediocre looking tandem seat trainer of 1944. Happy building. Let us know what you decided on.

6. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master

Greame is right.However,I-28 was designated simultaneously with I-26.The differences were in a landing gear, a water cooler, a longer cockpit conopy and full metal tail rudders.Its wings had a smaller wingspan.Their armament was the same.I-28 was powered by M-105PD engine equipped with V.A.Dollezal's supercharger.The tests of the plane were performed at the beginning of 1941.There were built two prototypes of I-28 only.Some of technical solutions that had been used for this aircraft were later adapted for Yak-7 and Yak-9.In 1943 the Yakovlev's OKB came back to the conception of this plane as its development and it was named Yak-9PD.

There some links to Yakovlev's fighters sites :

Yakovlev Aircraft
    Yak Piston Fighters
    Yak piston fighters
    yak - there also some easy Yak-9 drawings.
    Yakovlev
    Yak-9 T
    Yakovlev Yak-3

7. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master

There some drawings of Yak well-known WW2 fighters that can be useful for you Wayne W.I hope I was helpful.

Source: Моделист-Конструктор 1975/1976.

Attached Files:

8. gerar

gerar Member

IT Engineer
    Home Page:
  9. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor