Yakovlev Yak-1b, Arma Hobby, 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

2996 Victor

Airman
Feb 25, 2023
Barlborough, UK
Hi again,

this is another of my current builds, again started for a Group Build on Britmodeller. This time, its Arma Hobby's Yakovlev Yak-1b Expert Set in 1/72 scale and, as is usual with the Expert Set boxing, there are six markings options and a small sheet of etched brass details. Its another lovely Arma kit: parts fit is great, there's plenty of internal and external detail with the latter being delightfully restrained, notably the fabric effect on the rear fuselage.

Despite the wealth of markings options provided, this one will be finished in the markings of "25 White" of the 3GvIAP, Red Banner Baltic Fleet Air Force, Lavensaari airfield, Jul-Aug 1943. The finish is the typical Black/Olive disruptive pattern upper surfaces over Light Blue under surfaces with plain stars in six positions and the code number, spinner and rudder in white.

Box and sprue shots:

IMG_20230106_122408411.jpgIMG_20230106_122426286_HDR.jpgIMG_20230106_122655415.jpgIMG_20230106_122725547.jpgIMG_20230106_122742602.jpgIMG_20230106_122806240.jpg

I use Tamiya rattle cans for primer, but in this case it was a one-shot process for the interior as I used TS-66 IJN Grey (Kure Arsenal) to represent the VVS A-14 interior grey.

I kicked off with the one-piece upper wing panel to which is added the spar forming the rear face of the wheel wells:
IMG_20230112_090438326.jpg
Apologies for the slightly fuzzy pic.

The upper wing panel also forms the cockpit floor, to which is added the rudder bar and control column:
IMG_20230112_090407272.jpg
These bits were given a dash of the interior grey and the oxygen bottle had a coat of bright blue because it looked nice :)

The seat base and firewall thingy were painted separately and attached later, followed by a bit of detail painting and a smidgeon of weathering, and lastly the seat lap straps were added from the etch. Which got me to this point:
IMG_20230115_123648969.jpg

The seat back is a separate part which attaches to the rear cockpit decking:
IMG_20230115_123727672.jpg
The shoulder straps have been left like that deliberately, so that they can be "posed" once the seat back is fitted. Boy, do they get in the way.....

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,
Mark

The majority of the interior details are moulded plastic, and it has to be said that they're exquisite. The consoles on either side of the cockpit are separate parts, and these were fettled and painted before I fitted them as painting the various knobs and levers was much easier that way:
IMG_20230115_123620759.jpgIMG_20230115_123544452.jpg
Only the little handwheels are etched, the rest is moulded. The switch panels are decals, of course, and as usual there's a fair bit of carrier film which needs setting solution to get it to sit nicely. The finished effect is pretty, well, effective, though. The flare cartridge rack on the port sidewall is apparently correct only for late production aircraft. 25 White was mid-production so it should really be on the starboard sidewall, but I thought, "Meh!"

I also used the moulded IP again:
IMG_20230115_123155078.jpg
The instruments are on one decal, so again it needed several applications of setting solution, but in the end it settled well. After it was dry, it had a waft of clear lacquer and the instrument glasses were picked out with gloss varnish.

Next up was fitting the IP and the seat back and rear decking:
IMG_20230115_130705304.jpgIMG_20230115_130738391.jpg
Getting the seat back at the correct angle was a bit of a pain as it lines up with the cockpit framing, there are also some little pips that engage with dimples in the fuselage sides. A little gentle persuasion finally got it to the correct angle.

Which allowed me to close up the fuselage, and then fit the wing panels, bringing me to this point:
IMG_20230115_153013488.jpgIMG_20230115_153057846.jpg
As you can see, I've rearranged the harness shoulder straps, too! It was at this point that I realised I'd forgotten to fit the chin radiator before closing the fuselage. Never mind, it'll be okay!

Many thanks for looking in.

All the best,
Mark

Last edited:
Last update for today: tailplanes on and the wing root air scoop fitted:
IMG_20230227_175932085.jpg
The wing root air scoop should have been added to the wings before they were fitted to the fuselage, but its not too difficult to wiggle it into place at this stage. The starboard side tailplane has needed a little ball of blu-tac to support it while the joint sets. You might also be able to see the transparent piece behind the cockpit; the canopy itself is moulded closed which is a bit of a shame given all the lovely detail in the cockpit.

Thanks for looking in, more soon hopefully!

Cheers,
Mark

I'm late to the game Mark but you've done wonders with that little kit. I've heard good things about those Arma kits but most are in the wrong scale for me. Looking forward to the colors!

I have the pleasure of knowing Mark personally (we're practically neighbours) and can attest that the quality of his work is a reflection of the neatness and order on and around his bench, and I think the moral support of his cat.

I'm late to the game Mark but you've done wonders with that little kit. I've heard good things about those Arma kits but most are in the wrong scale for me. Looking forward to the colors!
Hi there, and many, many thanks for your kind words - to be fair Arma have done all the hard work for me :) Their 1/72 kits are astonishingly well thought-out and detailed, and I think pretty good value for money. What's your preferred scale? They're branching out into 1/48 with a Hurricane due soon - if its on par with their 1/72 Hurris it'll be a winner!

Cheers,
Mark

I have the pleasure of knowing Mark personally (we're practically neighbours) and can attest that the quality of his work is a reflection of the neatness and order on and around his bench, and I think the moral support of his cat.
Tony, you're far too kind - I was looking for an "embarrassed" emoji but there doesn't seem to be one! Incidentally, the cats are most important and definitely keep an eye on proceedings although its Daisy, who's role is CQCC (Chief Quality Control Cat), who makes sure I keep on the straight and narrow 😂

Cheers,
Mark

"quality of his work is a reflection of the neatness and order on and around his bench"

Oh my, good thing you are still on probation here. We certainly DO NOT ALLOW tidy work benches here. Wayne Little is an exception though.
Noted - I'll be sure to get things cluttered up asap ;) although I do need to keep some bench space clear:
IMG_4925.JPG
Daisy, CQCC (Chief Quality Control Cat), at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back