Yellow Zinc Oxide

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

prem895

Staff Sergeant
Oct 7, 2012
Toronto/Beijing
It seems as if Testors yzc #1184 is the only one on the market. I am about to run out,and was wondering if I mix Hu99 lemon yellow with a few drops at a time of MM gzc will I get the same colour. I would be using the 7ml bottle that the Testor yzo came in.

Last edited:
I believe you mean zinc chromate. I have no experience mixing humbrol colours. Model Master makes yellow zinc chromate but of course they are the same as Testors.

I don't know why I said oxide. I meant chromate. I have looked for MM yzc,but I can not see it listed. Do you know the number.

I've never bought any - always mixed my own to suit whatever tone of ZC is required.
Just a mix of yellow and green, proportions dependent on the tone needed and, if required, some silver, added from an almost dry brush, to give the metallic effect sometimes seen on 'thin' ZC.
Another way to achieve the latter is to lay down a base coat of silver, then a thin coat of the mixed ZC. When dry, the metallic particles in the silver will have migrated into the 'solid' colour, giving the ZC effect. You'd need to experiment a bit to obtain the desired result, but, like most colours, unless a definite, specific shade, why buy them, when they can be mixed from the primaries and basic 'solid' colours?

I think it only comes in Acrylic.

model-master-acrylic-yellow-zinc-chromate.jpg

I've never bought any - always mixed my own to suit whatever tone of ZC is required.
Just a mix of yellow and green, proportions dependent on the tone needed and, if required, some silver, added from an almost dry brush, to give the metallic effect sometimes seen on 'thin' ZC.
Another way to achieve the latter is to lay down a base coat of silver, then a thin coat of the mixed ZC. When dry, the metallic particles in the silver will have migrated into the 'solid' colour, giving the ZC effect. You'd need to experiment a bit to obtain the desired result, but, like most colours, unless a definite, specific shade, why buy them, when they can be mixed from the primaries and basic 'solid' colours?

Bingo!
I have custom mixed my colors for most of my life. It seems that I get in trouble lately by relying on the bottles. A little item that I will not do again, I might add. (Example: Ju87 of the last build)

Tamiya XF-4 is a close match, some say a little too green but I find that after a wash, it looks ok to me.

Geo

EDIT Should have added that I used it in my GB#20 P-47 if you want to compare it

Last edited:
I agree with Terry that the closest tinge of the YZC colour can be obtain mixing the yellow and some of silver. As a YZC yellow primer Humbrol offers Hu81 Pale Yellow that can be used as a pure YZC ( FS 33481). Personally, I use the one or Hu154 Insignia Yellow mixed with a very small drop of the Hu11 Silver for getting the matalic tone. The more of silver added the more the YZC becomes greenish and darker.

yzc.jpg
mzOIY4SG24B28NRRVjzTRdA.jpg

Other brands for ther FS 33481:

RAL 1012
Molak 33481
Xtra Color X408
Testor 1584
Tamiya XF54
Gunze H58

I was just looking at my paints,and I do have Hu81. I never thought it is a great match for ZC because the lid colour is way off the colour inside (very light). It will need a lot of stirring though. It is a big lump in the bottom.This is going to take a while.

Also I would suggest going through the thread ... Everything You Need To Know About Zinc Chromate

You can find there that there was another Zinc Chromate of the greenish tinge. It was called Zinc Chromate Green. Also it is known as the Zinc Chromate Primer type 2 Tint ( FS 34258 ) while the Yellow one is known as Zinc Chromate Primer type 1 - Yellow.
The FS 34258 is offered by Humbrol as the Hu80 Grass Green.

yzc1.jpg
yzc1Hu.jpg

I know the lighting is not so good ,but this is Hu81 left and Testors1184 right. Pretty dam close if you ask me,but who's asking:D

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 83
I don't understand why you are stressing over the colour of ZCY. It's not a colour, it's a primer. No colour standard was ever laid down for it and consequently the actual coloured varied from manufacturer to manufacturer and even batch to batch.
Any slightly greenish shade of yellow is therefore a match for ZCY on a model.
There's even more fun to be had with the green versions:)
Cheers
Steve

I agree with Steve. If we modellers were to use the actual paint/primer shade for everything we paint, none of it would look right, due to the 'scale effect', discussed often on this, and most other aviation forums. This is especially true of ZC primer, which had many variations in shade and depth.
It's a good idea to use the engineer's maxim - "If it looks right, it is right"!
Here's an example, showing a 'thin' coat of ZC on part of the structure of the Wellington, currently at Cosford. Can anyone say, categorically, what shade that is ?!!!

Attachments

• Zinc chromete example..jpg
    Zinc chromete example..jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back