Your best war movie/tv series

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, I have to put my hand up for Combat too, great series, just wish it would come back to our TV screens. Tour of Duty is another favorite, not happy with the scheduling though, been started about 3 times over the past 5 years and each time it disappears mid way through the first season. Time to watch Band of Brothers again too...break out the DVD's

Am I the only one that watched a Piece of Cake . Cant believe the Brits don't mention it
Spitfires , Lo Flying , Great dogfights and such great dialogue
Such as this pearl between two pilots while retreating from battle
]
'Mother' Cox: Is that you, Moggy?
'Moggy' Cattermole: Yes, indeed as I live and breathe. You okay?
'Mother' Cox: I've lost my fingers!
'Moggy' Cattermole: That's a bit careless, old boy. Have you ever seen Peter Pan?
'Mother' Cox: What do you mean?
'Moggy' Cattermole: Well, don't you remember Captain Hook? I mean, he got by. I think they can do anything these days
'Mother' Cox: Thanks a lot, Moggy!
'Moggy' Cattermole: How are you going to land?
'Mother' Cox: I don't know. My mother is going to be furious about this!

Band of Brothers and Combat. They still show Combat here on Comcast at 17:00 every day. I try not to miss it. Kinda cool seeing all the "guest" stars that they have on the show when they were still fairly unknown. I think there used to be another one called Battleground I used to watch when I was a kid.

My Favorite is Band of brothers and Memphise belle

TV War series for would be:
Das Boote, Band of Brothers, And Tour of Duty.

Films by the variety is much more complicated, but pre 20th century:
Zulu, Waterloo Cromwell or Red Badge of Courage.
WW1:
Sergent York, Blue Max, and All Quiet on the Western Front.

There can be only one contender for the best WWII movie: Das Boot. :cool:
Sure there were other good ones, like Saving Private Ryan and such, but submariners rule. :)

I highly doubt that any non-Canadians remember the Dieppe two-parter from the ninties. It was full of inaccuracies, but the actual beach landing sequences were very well made. Even the veterans seemed to think so.
Stargate SG-1 although that was Sci-Fi Combat/Exploration Series. Also Catch-22 I found good.
Uh huh. ;)

I'll go with you skim , Das Boot was great I also loved Band of Brothers.
As for others I thought The Enemy Below was quite good, I heard it done as a radio play once and it was teriffic because without images the tension of the hunt became palpable, I still like the original All Quite on the Western Front (the book is brilliant) and Schindlers List.

Band of Brothers and Odd Angry Shot a NZ film about Vietnam

Odd Angry Shot was an early Australian film Glider about Aussie SAS. But i see Wild already told you that.

best War related TV series for me Colditz for the serious side of me. It ain't half hot, for the lighter side of me with Allo Allo and Dad's Army running slight 3rd

Best War movie for me. I like Enemy at the Gate. now that was different but I wouldn't call it my all time favourite just one of the all to many i have viewed and liked. Liked Tour of Duty but have yet to see Band of Brothers. Changi was a good Aussie series on Australian TV about POW's in Singapore but had glaring faults at times. Soldiers in the Commonwealth never salute an officer if same soldiers are bare headed and this was done a few times on Changi. here is an older one for the Aussies remember the tv series channel 9 called ANZACS ran for 5 nights starred Paul Hogan Tony Bonner and several other Aussie Actors set during WW1. 3 better Aussie war movies besides ODD ANGRY SHOT 1 Kokoda 2 Light Horseman 3 Breaker Morant. I would include Gallipoli in the list but don't know if Mel Gibson was totally suited in the movie. US series I didn't mind Combat but found Rat Patrol silly. But the US did produce some good comedy series about war related or military events and one of the ones i am thinking of right now was F Troop followed by McHales Navy and one I can't remember its name but dealt with a motor transport company in WW2 with Negro Drivers found it funny but can't remeber its name was made mid 1980's i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back