Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Potez 631 series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dewoitine D.510

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • other?

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oreo

Senior Airman
Jul 18, 2008
South Carolina
Not complicated-- which is your favorite?

I am not including the Hawk 75, only indigenous designs.

My favorite is the MB 152 series, which I find very intriguing and I feel it gets less coverage than the D 520.

The MB 152 was also the only one to have wing mounted cannon. (albeit somewhat unreliable) And it was pretty tough.

It was certainly better than the MS 406, and the MB 155 was a pretty decent fighter. (heavier and more relaiable armament and better performance)

The VG 33 was the best all around fighter (with good performance, cost, and armament) to enter production prior to the armistice, but, of course, it came too late.

Not sure what my favorite is though.

I honestly do not have one. I have been fond of the French Fighters (not to say they did not have any decent ones though). If I had to choose (I chose other because I dont really have one), it would be the D.520.

Truthfully, I've never really paid attention to the French fighters. I guess I'll pull a Switzerland and stay neutral.

Well, that's diplomatic of y'all. I know not everybody pays any attention to the "minor aviation nations" aircraft, but I think Marcel will be happy to point out, the "minor aviation nations" contributed some interesting planes!

Particularly looking at the french planes and engines that were in development or entering production just prior to the armistice. (Gnome 14R, HS 12Z, MB 157, and the advanced developments of the VG-33 series)

Damn I put my vote into the 510 series but I meant to put it into the 520 series. Oh well.

Sorry-- maybe I should not have included it, but it was being used until right before the war and it is a really "different" looking design, and I wondered if anyone liked it.:cry:

As much as I love the D.520, I'm voting my favorite being the Arsenal VG-33 series, and probably the best had it seen mass production. What is so unique about this design is that it called for the use of certain non strategic materials which could be cheaper and quicker to build than other fighters by normal standards at the time. It was also built under less than ideal circumstances because of competition from other aircraft manufacterers, all on the eve of war. I'm tempted to believe the designers/builders of the Arsenal VG series were able to see the dark clouds on the horizons because of these factors. As such, I would classify the Arenal VG-33 series as something resembling that of a "desperation" fighter design, one which could have made a difference had it seen combat on a wide scale. The Caudron C.714 could also be classified as a french "desperation" aircraft given it's construction.

Only 12-13 VG-33 examples were fully built and of these only 2 reached operational status. A few French publications I have mention that one of the two may have shot down 1, perhaps 2 German planes before hostilities ended, though there is some debate in the various French aviation forums about this. One Stuka and one Me-109 are the two aircraft often mentioned. I don't think anyone has concluded either way on this yet.

My other favorites are the D.520, Breguet 693 series, the MB.170-175 series.

d520_5.jpg

I believe that too much of the French aviation industry (including engines) was in usable condition by Germany. Why weren't factories destroyed?

My favorite is the MS 406, it was the principal fighter of the battle of france with the american Curtiss H75.

The Dewoitine 520 was better but it was little used, consequence of the pitiful french organisation.

Morane Saulnier 406:

Attachments

• Morane_MS_406.jpg
    Morane_MS_406.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 114

Users who are viewing this thread

Back