Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Potez 631 series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dewoitine D.510

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • other?

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Arsenal VG33 according to wikipedia (the ultimate authority on all aircraft matters) :rolleyes:

"Somewhat underarmed (1 x 20 mm 4 x RCMG) compared to the Messerschmitt Bf 109, the VG-33 matched it in speed and manoeuvrability and was somewhat faster (at 347 mph) than the Dewoitine D.520 (also listed as 347mph ???). In larger quantities, this plane could have shown the Luftwaffe a rough time, but as was the case for most French planes, production problems plagued the VG-33 such that only 160 aircraft were close to completion before the Armistice, with just 19 of 40 produced (?) actually taken on by the Armée de l'Air. Just two machines ever flew in an active group, the piecemeal GC 1/55 which began life on June 18 and conducted missions for just a week. After the fall of France twelve VG-33s were confiscated by the Luftwaffe, perhaps for fighter training."

The VG33 thus seems preferable if compared to the D.520 which Eric Brown calls a nasty little brute with poor handling qualities. unless wiki has mislead me... perish the thought.

Of course Capt. Brown never let his national pride nor his personal predjudices stand in the way of making an objective judgement regarding aircraft. :rolleyes:

whereas the Bloch 150 which I like probably because of its resemblence to the P-36, wiki says:

During World War II, the Bloch MB.152 had destroyed at least 188 enemy aircraft, and lost about 86 of their own. They proved tough aircraft, able to stand considerable battle damage, and a good gunnery platform,[2] but with many problems: poor agility, poor weapon reliability, poor range (600 km, but here the Bf 109E was only slightly better, around 660 km), and were notably underpowered.

Last edited:
Oh, Wikipedia. Great for something, to be avoided for something else.
Saying that a plane featuring a cannon + 4 LMGs is 'somewhat underarmed' is too much away from reality, especially if we take a look at what other fighters were carrying in the air back in 1940. Wonder what would be comment for majority of Soviet, Italian and Japanese planes prior 1943. The author thinks that two MG FF cannons (wing mounted) are worth many times as one HS-404 (centrally mounted), despite firing a weaker shell at lower MV, even at lower firing rate. The French plane has twice the LMGs firing at greater RoF, too.

Oh, Wikipedia. Great for something, to be avoided for something else.

For sure! Resorting to Wiki indicates my extended state of ignorance on French Aviation circa 1935-40. I used the wiki entries on all the options to make up my mind. A wiki basis is indeed a bit thin, but coming from my state of topical ignorance, it served well to give me a quick (and dirty) education on the topic.

Saying that a plane featuring a cannon + 4 LMGs is 'somewhat underarmed' is too much away from reality, especially if we take a look at what other fighters were carrying in the air back in 1940. Wonder what would be comment for majority of Soviet, Italian and Japanese planes prior 1943. The author thinks that two MG FF cannons (wing mounted) are worth many times as one HS-404 (centrally mounted), despite firing a weaker shell at lower MV, even at lower firing rate. The French plane has twice the LMGs firing at greater RoF, too.

Whoever was the author, wiki's description doesn't seem very consistent. The performance indicated for the Arsenal appears essentially the same as that for the Dewotine D.520, yet the wiki entry appears to suggest that the Arsenal was faster and would have posed a greater threat to LW Bf-109s! What to make of this? Does a choice based strictly on performance warrant a coin toss, or is wiki to be trusted that there was some basis for judging the one (the VG-33) of these two very similar aircraft to be superior to the other. Are they much the same airplane or did the VG-33 really show a significant performance edge? Inquiring minds seek to know. :?: :)

Last edited:
Hope you did not get me wrong, Malcolm, I was not pointing against you for using Wiki, I do use it plenty:)

The VG-33 did featured smaller wing, so it could be a tad faster. A listed speed of 347mph for D.520 seem too high?

No misuderstanding at all, Tomo. Wiki isn't a bad place to start an investigation but to dig deeper I just assume one needs better resources. I believe, we are and were on the same page. :)

As far as the speed of the D.520, I don't know. I just thought it odd that wikki would claim one aircraft was faster and yet quote the same Max speed for both.

Hello,

I am very pleased that you write about the French fighter. If you are interested by the VG 33, you can visit the following website (sorry in french):
Sommaire
In this site I was surprised to read that the VG was only powered by an "small" HS12Y of 860hp ! and however flown at a speed of 558km/h at 5200m!
compared with 529 km/h at 6000 m for the D520.

I am living at Toulouse and working for LATECOERE, the name of Dewoitine is very famous. The Dewoitine's old factory is nowadays an AIRBUS plant (St Eloy). And the old runway is a boulevard!

Cheers!

Hello,

I am very pleased that you write about the French fighter. If you are interested by the VG 33, you can visit the following website (sorry in french):
Sommaire
In this site I was surprised to read that the VG was only powered by an "small" HS12Y of 860hp ! and however flown at a speed of 558km/h at 5200m!
compared with 529 km/h at 6000 m for the D520.

I am living at Toulouse and working for LATECOERE, the name of Dewoitine is very famous. The Dewoitine's old factory is nowadays an AIRBUS plant (St Eloy). And the old runway is a boulevard!

Cheers!

Merci beaucoup for the link and information. While I don't speak french, it was helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back