Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Potez 631 series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dewoitine D.510

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • other?

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Why didn't you and your French neighbors hold a flight competition with the winner getting the entire fighter contract for Britain, France, Germany and anyone else who wants into the program?

Shades of the Schneider Trophy ! Time to dust off the Supermarines.:D

John

Not every company can devote the resources to research and development of engines in all sizes or purposes. Much better to pick a few markets to compete in and make money at than trying to cover every need regardless of cost and profitability. Keeping a company healthy and profitable is a better long term "jobs program" than a taxpayer supported, few year "buy our own nations stuff" jobs program.

Its largely because we have ignored the basic fact that economies need to make things that we are in the mess we are in 2011.
I take your point but, I would say that there are other issues at stake here. So much so that the RR engines available could have had a modern fighter designed around them rather than the other way round.
I know that fighters have to be developed but, who are the enemy we are likely to have to fight? What fighters do they have to deploy against us?
I think its a question of balance.
Keeping jobs at home and having a fighter cability that is affordable and adequate for our real world needs.
John

I used to think the British were foolish for not switching to the Euro. Now it looks like the Euro is self destructing and the British knew what they were doing all along by sticking with the pound.

Either that or you English muddled through and got lucky. :)

I used to think the British were foolish for not switching to the Euro. Now it looks like the Euro is self destructing and the British knew what they were doing all along by sticking with the pound.

Either that or you English muddled through and got lucky. :)

One of the things we can thank Gordon Brown for keeping us out of the Euro Zone.
Our Sterling is part of our identity.

You are right about 'muddling'. Its the English way you know.

I suspect that other EU countries would quite like their own currency back too...

John

If the Euro breaks up I think continental europe would be in a serious economic mess for several years. The cure might be worse then the disease.

Meanwhile Britain and the USA would continue to economically muddle through. A technique we learned from our English cousins. 8)

If the Euro breaks up I think continental europe would be in a serious economic mess for several years. The cure might be worse then the disease.

Meanwhile Britain and the USA would continue to economically muddle through. A technique we learned from our English cousins. 8)

The main land Europeans are great survivors, They'll be ok, Euro or no Euro.

The gentle art of muddling takes 100's of years to perfect. You colonials are just starting to learn...:lol:
The real trick is not to appear to be muddling through...that masterclass awaits you :D

John

Europe survived 1648, 1763, 1815, 1918 and 1945 but in each case things were pretty grim for the next several decades. I'm hoping today's MTV generation of Europeans make wiser choices then their ancestors. :cry:

That is the main reason I want the Deutschmark back. I am paid in Dollars, but have to pay my rent and utility bills in Euro. I might not be German, but I am against the Euro. Hell my wife is German has been against the Euro from the beginning. I think the average European in the Euro zone is. Unfortunately most of the Govt.'s don't ask the people what they want.

Europe survived 1648, 1763, 1815, 1918 and 1945 but in each case things were pretty grim for the next several decades. I'm hoping today's MTV generation of Europeans make wiser choices then their ancestors. :cry:

One would hope so dave.
However, with all the divides that there are in main land Europe I am not optimistic.
Any 'melt down' with have's and have not's will cause trouble in some shape or form.
I shall watch with interest Mr Cameron's work to extract ourselves from the EZ mess and (hopefully) leave the EU altogether...
John

Last edited:
Interesting a thread about French ww2 fighter planes ends with a discussion about euro... :lol:

Don't want to interrupt but I voted on the D.520.

And then what?

We could revive the plan for "Greater Britain" which Sir Edward Grey and Colonel House tried so hard to make happen during WWI. :)

Speak for yourselves ;)

The Euro was and still is a great idea, taking countries that massively fake their statistics and can't keep a budget into the zone was the mistake. The Euro will recover, but of course there will be a lot of damage to countries that were not part of the problem. That's the principle of solidarity. What would happen in Greece today if they were not part of a greater system that will do its best to keep the country alive? Revolution? Civil war?

And about RR: They are a big company. The biggest aero engine manufacturer in Europe perhaps? But even they have to spread risks. Hence you don't see too many RR-only engines these days, but they are usually a major player in any European military engine program (EJ200, MTR390, RTM322, TP400...).

Euro or not is not the pb. The pb is that in Europe, like in US or others, people have no more power of decision: Wall Street, the City Co are our chief.

Last edited:
VICTORY
Battle of Evesham - August 4, 1265
Marking the end of Chivalry in England, the British under Prince Edward earn a victory against Frenchman Simon de Montfort in this massacre.

VICTORY
Battle of Crecy - August 26, 1346
Edward III of England is victorious against Philip VI of France.

VICTORY
Battle of Poitiers - September 19, 1356
Edward of England is victorious against John II of France.

VICTORY
Battle of Auray - September 29, 1364
Sir John Chandos of England defeats Charles of Blois.

VICTORY
Battle of Agincourt - October 25, 1415
Henry V of England defeats Frenchmen Jean Le Maingre and Charles d'Albret.

VICTORY
Battle of Cravant - July 31, 1423
Thomas Montacute of England defeats Comte de Vendome of France.

VICTORY
Battle of Oudenarde - July 11, 1708
Britain defeats Frenchmen Duc of Burgundy and the Duc de Vendome.

VICTORY
Battle of Albuera - May 16, 1811
Britain defeats Frenchman Nicolas Jean de Dieu.

VICTORY
Battle of Badajoz - March 16-April 6, 1812
Britain deals a major blow to Napoleon Bonaparte of France.

VICTORY
Battle of Salamanca - July 22, 1812
Britain defeats Frenchman Auguste Marmont.

VICTORY
Battle of Vitoria - June 21, 1813
Britain defeats Jean-Baptiste Jourdan and Joseph Bonaparte of France.

VICTORY
Battle of Leipzig - October 16-19, 1813
Britain defeats Napoleon I of France.

VICTORY
Battle of Waterloo - June 18, 1815
England defeats Napoleon of France in his last battle.

lol

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE
Battle of Donetsk - June 11, 2012
France - Angleterre: 3 - 0

Last edited:
The fact that the Euro sucks and was a big mistake, is the one thing we can all agree on. :lol:

I think that Euro was a good idea, though it was introduced too early and I don't mean only time but especially the level of the union (or the level of unification of European countries, don't know which sentence suits here better :) ).

That is because individuals may be smart, but people are dumb ;)

Do you think even a fraction of the people can remotely grasp the complexity of a global economy or international currency. And I include me, to be fair. People today think they have an educated opinion about everything because they saw 15 minutes of a debate with Maischberger (or whatever your country's counterpart is to that), looked up an article on wikipedia or read an article on spiegel-online. Thank god we don't have a direct democracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back