Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Potez 631 series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dewoitine D.510

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • other?

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No offense taken. Believe me, I'm the first person to defend modern French airplanes as being world class.

I too have always liked the modern ones. Never cared for the WW2 ones, and worst of all I never cared for the French Bombers of that era as well. ;)

Last edited:
Why aren't they building engines for the F-35 program?

There are two chances of the US sticking a foreign engine in the F-35 and Slim has already left town.

Since the 1950's (if not before) decision on which airplane (or engine) for many of the "smaller" counties to buy/use has depended at least as much on politics and "deals" (manufacturing offsets and like) as the actual capabilities of the aircraft/engine involved.

British F-4 fighter aircraft were powered by the locally built RR Spey engine. Why didn't RR build an engine for the F-35 which the RAF would use and possibly other nations also such as Australia?

The Spey already existed. Unless RR already has a suitable engine in production or customers lined up for such an engine for a large production run the cost of designing and building just for the British F-35 (or even a few other countries production) is simply too expensive. The cost of designing and building a new engine can be around a Billion dollars if not higher. Small runs of specialized engines are unaffordable.

Exactly. And exactly the reason they stopped development of their own F-35 engine just a few days ago.

Whatever the reasons I think that its a bad day when RAF aircraft are not powered by British engines.
I mean no disrespect to P&W either, but if we abandon RR its a slippery slope....

The Harrier would still do everything the RAF NAVY realistically could need....

Oh well

John

I don't understand why Britain bought into the F-35 program. You've already got the Eurofighter and it's an excellent aircraft (except it should have been named "Spitfire II"). Eurofighter research and development have already been paid for. Why not just build enough aircraft to fill the entire RAF requirement? If the program remains fully supported it's also more likely to get some export customers.

I don't understand why Britain bought into the F-35 program. You've already got the Eurofighter and it's an excellent aircraft (except it should have been named "Spitfire II"). Eurofighter research and development have already been paid for. Why not just build enough aircraft to fill the entire RAF requirement? If the program remains fully supported it's also more likely to get some export customers.
Because BAE is a major player in the development of the aircraft and has been since the X-35 days.

Then why wouldn't BAE be just as happy building a few hundred additional EuroFighters?

Because they could build both plus spares and it seems on paper there will be a lot more F-35 operators than Eurofighter operators. You don't make your money on building airframes, you really make big money on spare parts and after production support.

Because they could build both plus spares and it seems on paper there will be a lot more F-35 operators than Eurofighter operators. You don't make your money on building airframes, you really make big money on spare parts and after production support.

True, but I think if we should support our own industries. The 'Eurofighter' (a rather ironic name in 2011) is good but, we had a more flexible aircraft in the Harrier.
The Falklands showed that and the war zones the RAF have operated in since still show the close support in the main role.

I would rather have seen BAE develop the Harrier.

John

True, but I think if we should support our own industries. The 'Eurofighter' (a rather ironic name in 2011) is good but, we had a more flexible aircraft in the Harrier.
The Falklands showed that and the war zones the RAF have operated in since still show the close support in the main role.

I would rather have seen BAE develop the Harrier.

John

There was no more stretch in the Harrier. BAE is partnered to save money. LM is taking all the risk in money and development, in the end BAE potentially can offer the UK a Harrier replacement with no development cost and it can still make money and keep people employed.

There was no more stretch in the Harrier. BAE is partnered to save money. LM is taking all the risk in money and development, in the end BAE potentially can offer the UK a Harrier replacement with no development cost and it can still make money and keep people employed.

Britain really needs to put our own jobs first instead of the years of selling out to foreign firms.
I hope that you are right Joe
John

I would think (and hope) that if the F-35 VSTOL is every perfected, it would be kinda like a next generation Harrier. Big shoes to fill though.

Last edited:
Speaking of which...
The Eurofighter and Dassault Rafale are both fine aircraft but neither aircraft is being produced in large numbers. Why didn't you and your French neighbors hold a flight competition with the winner getting the entire fighter contract for Britain, France, Germany and anyone else who wants into the program? Build 1,000 aircraft of a single type and you get the advantages of mass production. Just as the USA is trying to do with the F-35.

Whatever the reasons I think that its a bad day when RAF aircraft are not powered by British engines.
I mean no disrespect to P&W either, but if we abandon RR its a slippery slope....

Not every company can devote the resources to research and development of engines in all sizes or purposes. Much better to pick a few markets to compete in and make money at than trying to cover every need regardless of cost and profitability. Keeping a company healthy and profitable is a better long term "jobs program" than a taxpayer supported, few year "buy our own nations stuff" jobs program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back