Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Potez 631 series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dewoitine D.510

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • other?

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is because individuals may be smart, but people are dumb ;)

Do you think even a fraction of the people can remotely grasp the complexity of a global economy or international currency. Thank god we don't have a direct democracy.

You are dangerous.

And then what?

We could revive the plan for "Greater Britain" which Sir Edward Grey and Colonel House tried so hard to make happen during WWI. :)

We have had reservations about the EU EZ for some time.
The EU has become some 'super state' that only the French still want and as for the EZ...an opportunity for some.. and wisely declined by us.

I would be happy with just an EFTA style trade agreement and keep all this federal nonense at arm's lenght.

John

Do you think even a fraction of the people can remotely grasp the complexity of a global economy or international currency. And I include me, to be fair. People today think they have an educated opinion about everything because they saw 15 minutes of a debate with Maischberger (or whatever your country's counterpart is to that), looked up an article on wikipedia or read an article on spiegel-online. Thank god we don't have a direct democracy.

True in part... but,democracy has taken a recent kicking in the EU.
John

Don't forget that French people, like Irish, said no by referundum to Maastricht-Lisboa diktat. But we live in technocracy.

Then that is another reason to see sense and abandon the EU.
The British are under the distinct impression that the French still hold their 60 year old dream of a Federal Europe close to their heart.
Is that true?
John

Do you think even a fraction of the people can remotely grasp the complexity of a global economy or international currency. And I include me, to be fair. People today think they have an educated opinion about everything because they saw 15 minutes of a debate with Maischberger (or whatever your country's counterpart is to that), looked up an article on wikipedia or read an article on spiegel-online. Thank god we don't have a direct democracy.

Yeah okay, you keep on believing that.

I may not be an expert on the matter, but I know enough, nor am I dumb.

The last Pan=European trading organisation that worked was the Hanseatic league and that collapsed 400 years ago killed off by Dutch and to a lesser extent English merchants who could offer cheaper freight rates simply because they werent hidebound by Hansa beaurocracy. We dont need to worry about the Euro we need to worry about other trading nations who are not hidebound by the mountain of paperwork every transaction generates for even the smallest deal in Europe. The day of monolithic slow moving organisations is long gone the Eurozone might have worked 30 years ago but is a dead duck in todays fast moving global economy.

Last edited:
Well said. That's what I meant. We need to look at India China now not so much the EU.
EFTA ( European Free Trade Assoc) worked pretty well until '73 when we joined the then EEC.
John

That was a good post. And it reflects the current situation in the US too. We have entirely too much oversight by local and federal gov't. It is stifling innovation and industry. Unfortunately, I don't envision peaceful change that will make a difference. We are so far down the path at this point that meaningful change must necessarily be drastic, painful and long lasting. With an economy steeped in social handouts, those people will defend them with violence. I fear for my boys.

The politicians are, in many cases, in a deep pocket of men with money.
The men with money produce stuff in China, SE Asia, India, paying the workers there miserably, and then sell stuff in Europe, USA, Japan other 'rich' countries. 'Outsourcing' is the word, and it applies for services, not just the industrial production.
So one thing is to go away. Either legal corruption (= lobbying), or the politicians (but new ones will jump in their seats), or people's well being. Hate to guess what will go.

That was a good post. And it reflects the current situation in the US too. We have entirely too much oversight by local and federal gov't. It is stifling innovation and industry. Unfortunately, I don't envision peaceful change that will make a difference. We are so far down the path at this point that meaningful change must necessarily be drastic, painful and long lasting. With an economy steeped in social handouts, those people will defend them with violence. I fear for my boys.

So, both our countries have arrived at the same place after all.
We are told to expect a 'lost decade' as Cameron co endeavor to turn our fortunes around. I think that there is so much beyond our control that it may take a bit longer.
We need to change the basis of our economies and forget all the 'get rich quick' nonsense.
People's attitude has to change too with the work ethic that a lot of East Europeans have and we would do well to copy.
I also share your worries about our children's future.
John

The politicians are, in many cases, in a deep pocket of men with money.
The men with money produce stuff in China, SE Asia, India, paying the workers there miserably, and then sell stuff in Europe, USA, Japan other 'rich' countries. 'Outsourcing' is the word, and it applies for services, not just the industrial production.
So one thing is to go away. Either legal corruption (= lobbying), or the politicians (but new ones will jump in their seats), or people's well being. Hate to guess what will go.

'Outsourcing' the scourge of our industry.
Its not just the countries you mention Tomo, the British government 'outsourced' a train building contract to Germany as they were a bit cheaper. Result? 1400 men on the dole. Great decision eh.
John

Last edited:
Well the P-36 was actually an American aircraft, that was used by France. The thread is asking for "French Fighter".

Now having said that, why don't you explain why you think that it was the best, instead of just posting the aircraft and that's it. Kind of defeats the purpose of a forum not to have a discussion about it, right...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back