Your favorite post-war aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

By the way TO, surely your pics of the F-86 showing the stars and bars orthagonal to the fuselage is improper right? I know that's not USAF doctrine, who effed that up?

Not an FB, actually. It's an F-111F. I think only Mountain Home had FBs. Or it might have been the base in NY whose name eludes me at the moment. The airplane is showing the loadout for the Libya raid.

For those who care, a select few of the ex-SAC FB's (those with low hours) were re-worked into G's, and handed over to (what was at that time) TAC; I don't know if any G's are still flying in US colours (probably not), but I think a few of them ended up in Aussie hands after the US retired them.

Once again, here's a good SA&SM article on what the Aussie's call "The Pig":

Air Space Magazine | Military Aviation | The Plane With No Name

By the way TO, surely your pics of the F-86 showing the stars and bars orthagonal to the fuselage is improper right? I know that's not USAF doctrine, who effed that up?

Matt, I think the markings are correct. Seen lots of photos of period Sabres and restorations and they all look the same.

TO

Attachments

• pelton_01.jpg
    pelton_01.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 69
Well I'll be damned. I thought that the insignia was in alignment with the wing chord post WWII. Looks like that wasn't adopted until around the introductions of the Century Fighters.

Thanks TO. How many times I looked at those aircraft and built those models... you learn something new everyday.

Ya's'll all jump on me with reasons to put it down, but my favourite post war aircraft is the McDonnell Douglas A-4 Skyhawk, especially in it's F,G, and K (RNZAF) variants.
Of course thre are bigger, better, faster, etc aircraft, but to be blunt it's a bloody beautiful aircraft, and served us well in NZ from 1970 to 2001.

I remember while still in the RNZAF some visiting Aussie F-18 pilots lamenting the sale of the RAN A-4Gs (we bought 6 of them), saying they were sweeter to fly and more reliable than their replacements.

Fire at will with facts and figures, but I'll still always love that plane!

Nothing wrong with the A-4; certainly was a capable aircraft in the right hands.

I have would have to go with the following for a short list
1)A-10 Thunderbolt-I love how a basically low tech plane can still kick A$$!
2)F-14 Tomcat
3)SR-71 Blackbird
4)F-86 Sabre

A4K,
Nothing wrong with the A4. I thought about putting that down myself. Nothing wrong with a plane with a 30-40 year plus career. Also the Blue Angels flew it for a number of years too!

I love the A4K. There was an A4 driver lurking around the forum a while ago and he schooled me of the Scooter alright. Look at the thrust to weight ration of the later models. Pretty dang impressive really.

And the CF-101, Great aircraft. There is one (F-101D) on a stand down the road at Ft. Lewis. That was a big aircraft. Much bigger than I ever thought until I actually saw it.

I love the A4K. There was an A4 driver lurking around the forum a while ago and he schooled me of the Scooter alright. Look at the thrust to weight ration of the later models. Pretty dang impressive really.

And the CF-101, Great aircraft. There is one (F-101D) on a stand down the road at Ft. Lewis. That was a big aircraft. Much bigger than I ever thought until I actually saw it.

Yeah, it's about the size and weight of an F-15 with about 1/2 the thrust; took it a while to get up to Mach.

They're both great aircraft, Rochie! If I was to list other post war types I love, the Vamp would be near the top of the list.
And Pb, great pic of the Voodoo! I didn't realise she was so big either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back